Justice through Indigenous Lenses
- woensdag 26 januari 2022
- Virtual Event
This event will reflect on: (1) indigenous understandings of local and international justice with an emphasis on criminal justice, as well as the expectations of indigenous peoples from international criminal law in cases of mass crimes perpetrated against them; and (2) the need to include indigenous legal traditions as sources of law within the international criminal justice system, built from legal traditions of common and civil law in order for global justice to be served.
This panel will explore and explain what indigenous peoples from different parts of the globe understand as justice, and, more specifically, criminal justice, in their communities. In addition, it will look into the perceptions of indigenous peoples regarding current international criminal justice framework and institutions, as well as their expectations from international criminal proceedings (domestic or international).
Among the topics for discussion will be questions such as:
- Who delivers justice in the communities represented by the panel members, and through what processes;
- What powers do those that deliver justice have;
- What kinds of harm the indigenous criminal justice aims to address, and
- What kind of sanctions follow a finding of responsibility for a crime.
Welcome Words: Prof. Eric De Brabandere, Professor of International Dispute Settlement Law and Director of the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies, Leiden University
Keynote Speech: Ms. Myrna McCallum, Trauma-informed lawyer, Miyo Pimatisiwin Legal Services
Moderator: Ms. Danya Chaikel, External Affairs & Communications Consultant, International Justice Desk, FIDH
- Ms. Myrna McCallum, Trauma-informed lawyer, Miyo Pimatisiwin Legal Services
- Prof. Val Napoleon, Interim Dean, Law Foundation Chair of Indigenous Justice and Governance, University of Victoria
- Mr. Jonodev Chaudhuri, Ambassador, Muscogee (Creek) Nation; Principal, Chaudhuri Law
For further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vanwege de gekozen cookie-instellingen kunnen we deze video hier niet tonen.Bekijk de video op de oorspronkelijke website of