Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Regulations on working & internships

Do you have a student residence permit and would like to work or do an internship during your studies? Find out about the regulations that apply to you.


If you have a student residence permit you may work alongside your studies, however the following conditions apply:

  • You may work a maximum of 16 hours per week, or full time during the summer months  (June, July and August) - not both.
  • Your employer must requests a work permit for you. Make sure to request a copy of the work permit for your own records.


If you want to do an internship that is part of, or relevant to, your study programme, you need to arrange a standard internship agreement. This must be completed and signed by you, your employer and your programme coordinator. 

For more information on doing an internship see the internships and research projects page.

Insurance while working

As soon as you start working – even if this is only for one day – you will need to change your student health insurance policy into a Dutch public health insurance policy. This is also the case if you do a paid internship for which you receive at least Dutch minimum wage.

Read more on the Prepare your stay - Insurances page.

Visa/residence permit consultation hours

If you have a question about your residence permit, drop by during the visa team's weekly consultation hours. For current times and locations see the visa team's contact information on this page.

Further information

For further information on working and internship regulations, visit the Study in Holland working while studying page or download the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment’s flyer on working while studying in the Netherlands.

This website uses cookies.