Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Effects of Brexit

Are you a UK citizen currently studying at Leiden University? Or are you a Leiden University student (thinking of) studying abroad in the UK? Find out about the effects of Brexit.

Transition period

On 31 January 2020, the UK officially left the EU. Under the provisions of the withdrawal agreement, there will be a transition period from 1 February till 31 December 2020. During this period, UK nationals who are registered as living in the Netherlands will retain their existing rights and will not require a residence permit.

Read more about the Brexit withdrawal agreement and the transition period on the IND website.

Verify your BRP registration

Your registration as a resident in the city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) serves as proof that you have been, and are, living in the Netherlands.  It is important that your BRP registration is correct, as you will receive your letters from the IND (Dutch immigration department) at the address at which you are registered.

Check you have received a letter from IND

In January 2019, all British citizens registered as living in the Netherlands should have received a letter from the IND stating their resident status during the transition period and explaining what will happen next. If you have not received your letter, please contact the IND.

Read more about this letter on the IND website

Temporary residence permit

The letter you received from IND will serve as your temporary residence permit during the transition period. For the current academic year, you do not need to submit the letter to Leiden University. However, if you wish to apply for the academic year 2019-2020, you will be asked to submit your IND letter to the Admissions Office Visa Team. You will receive further instructions about this at a later date.

Tuition fee

As a student enrolled at Leiden University before the end of the transition period and a registered resident in the Netherlands, you will be allowed to continue studying under the same conditions, and with the same tuition fees, as those set for EU students by law and by the regulations of Leiden University. This is on condition that you remain registered as a resident in the Netherlands, without interruption, throughout your studies. As we understand from the information provided by the Dutch government, this includes continuing uninterrupted onto a follow-on study programme (e.g. doing your Master’s right after your Bachelor’s) and switching between institutions within the Netherlands. If applicable, you will retain your entitlement to Dutch student finance (studiefinanciering).

Interrupting your studies

The information so far provided by the Dutch government does not specify which tuition fees will apply if you take a break from your studies and return later to complete your programme. We advise against interrupting your studies while this uncertainty exists.

Working during your studies

If you have a part-time job alongside your studies, please consult your employer to find out if, and how, Brexit could affect your position and rights as an employee.

Health insurance

During the Brexit transition period (till 31 December 2020) the EU health insurance card (EHIC) will remain valid for UK students. However from 1 January 2021 onwards, you must take out an alternative health insurance policy. Visit the health insurance page for information on insurance requirements and the types of policy available.

Further information

For further information, please contact the IND via the Brexit information line: tel +31 (0)88 04 30410 or by email.  For study programme related matters, please contact your study adviser or coordinator.

Impact of Brexit for EU students in the UK

For EU citizens who are already living or studying in the UK on Brexit day, the UK will continue to run the EU Settlement Scheme after Brexit, even in a ‘no deal’ scenario. This means you should be able to carry on your life as usual, continuing to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK, much as you do now.  These are the conclusions from a policy paper issued by the UK Government, outlining its action to protect citizens’ rights in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Check your tuition fees

Check with your British university if tuition fees for next year will be affected by Brexit. 

Erasmus+ programme

Starting before 1 June 2021

If your period abroad starts before 1 June 2021, you are eligible to apply for an Erasmus+ grant for studies or traineeships. More information can be found on the Erasmus+ for studies and Erasmus+ for traineeships page

Starting after Brexit

No information is currently available on the effects of Brexit if you plan to start your studies or traineeship in the UK after the 1 June 2021In the event that the UK will no longer take part in the new Erasmus+ programme (2021-2027), Leiden University students can instead apply for the LUSTRA+ scholarship for their exchange programme in the UK.  Please note that the LUSTRA+ scholarship is not as generous as the Erasmus+ grant.

Further advice

For further advice, please contact your international exchange coordinator.

This website uses cookies.