Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Effects of Brexit

Are you a British citizen currently studying at Leiden University? Or are you a Leiden University student (thinking of) studying abroad in the UK? Find out about the effects of Brexit.

Transition period

On 7 January 2019, the Dutch Government issued a letter to Parliament, stating that British citizens and their families who are legally living, working and studying in the Netherlands on Brexit day can continue to do so for a transition period of 15 months. During this time you will remain entitled to provisions such as healthcare and to financial contributions towards the cost of rent and childcare, for example.

Verify your BRP registration

Your registration as a resident in the city’s Personal Records Database (BRP) serves as proof that you have been, and are, living in the Netherlands.  It is important that your BRP registration is correct, as you will receive your letters from the IND (Dutch immigration department) at the address at which you are registered.

Check you have received a letter from IND

In January 2019, all British citizens registered as living in the Netherlands should have received a letter from the IND stating their resident status during the transition period and explaining what will happen next. If you have not received your letter, please contact the IND.

Read more about this letter on the IND website

Temporary residence permit

The letter you received from IND will serve as your temporary residence permit during the transition period. For the current academic year, you do not need to submit the letter to Leiden University. However, if you wish to apply for the academic year 2019-2020, you will be asked to submit your IND letter to the Admissions Office Visa Team. You will receive further instructions about this at a later date.

Tuition fee

As a student enrolled at Leiden University on Brexit day, and a registered resident in the Netherlands, you will be allowed to continue studying under the same conditions, and with the same tuition fees, as those set for EU students by law and by the regulations of Leiden University. As we understand it from the Government’s letter, this includes continuing uninterrupted on a follow-on study programme (e.g. doing your Master’s right after a Bachelor’s) and also includes a switch between institutions within the Netherlands. 
If applicable, you will keep your entitlement to financial assistance (studiefinanciering).

Interrupting your studies

The Government’s letter does not specify which tuition fees will apply if you take a break from your studies and return later to complete your programme. We advise against interrupting your studies while this uncertainty exists.

Working during your studies

If you have a part-time job alongside your studies, please consult your employer to find out if, and how, Brexit could affect your position and rights as an employee.

Health insurance

After Brexit day, the EU health insurance card (EHIC) will no longer be valid for UK students. You must therefore take out an alternative health insurance policy before the UK leaves the EU. Visit  the health insurance page for information on insurance requirements and the types of policy available.

Further information

For further information, please contact the IND via the Brexit information line: tel +31 (0)88 04 30410 or by email.  For study programme related matters, please contact your study adviser or coordinator.

Impact of Brexit for EU students in the UK

For EU citizens who are already living or studying in the UK on Brexit day, the UK will continue to run the EU Settlement Scheme after Brexit, even in a ‘no deal’ scenario. This means you should be able to carry on your life as usual, continuing to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK, much as you do now.  These are the conclusions from a policy paper issued by the UK Government, outlining its action to protect citizens’ rights in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Check your tuition fees

Check with your British university if tuition fees for next year will be affected by Brexit. For example, the University of Oxford has promised that EU students who began their studies in 2018-2019 will be charged the home rate for tuition fees for all years of their course.

Erasmus+ programme

Going to the UK before 1 November 2019

If you plan to start your studies abroad in the UK before 1 November 2019, we currently expect that you will be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant. However, if the situation changes and the UK is no longer participating in the Erasmus+ programme on the start date of your studies in the UK, your Erasmus+ grant will be withdrawn. Should this occur, we will notify you immediately and instead award you a Leiden University LUSTRA+ scholarship. Please note that the LUSTRA+ scholarship is not as generous as the Erasmus+ grant. Be aware that as a result of the above, Leiden University will only be able to transfer your Erasmus+ grant to your bank account on your actual start date, after first checking that you are still eligible for funding.

Going to the UK after 31 October 2019

No information is available on the effects of Brexit if you plan to start your studies abroad in the UK after 31 October 2019. In the event that the UK is no longer part of the Erasmus+ programme, Leiden University students can apply for the LUSTRA+ scholarship for their exchange programme to the UK. Nevertheless, we advise students going to the UK for studies or traineeships to apply for the Erasmus+ grant via the existing procedures. Once more information is available we will let you know which scholarship will apply. Please note that the LUSTRA+ scholarship is not as generous as the Erasmus+ grant.

Further advice

For further advice, please contact your international exchange coordinator.

This website uses cookies. Read