Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Effects of Brexit

Are you a UK citizen currently or about to start studying at Leiden University? Or are you a Leiden University student (thinking of) studying abroad in the UK? Find out about the effects of Brexit.

During the transition period

On 31 January 2020, the UK officially left the EU. Under the provisions of the withdrawal agreement, there was a transition period from 1 February till 31 December 2020. During this period, UK nationals who were registered as living in the Netherlands retained their existing rights and did not require a residence permit.

From 1 January 2021 onwards

Residence permits

Since 1 January 2021, all UK nationals living in The Netherlands require a residence permit. Procedures for requesting a permit vary depending on whether you were already living in The Netherlands and registered in your municipality’s personal records database (BRP) before 1 January 2021.

  • Living in The Netherlands and registered in your municipality’s BRP before 1 January 2021
    In this case, you can apply for a temporary residence permit directly from the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). Please refer to
    the IND website to find out how to apply and the requirements for submitting an  application. This is a relatively quick and simple procedure, therefore if this applies to you, we advise you to apply for a residence permit as soon as possible. The procedure needs to be finalised before 1 July 2021.
  • Arriving and registering in The Netherlands after 31 December 2020
    You will instead have to request a student residence permit via Leiden University. Alternatively, you can request residency on other grounds, for example employment or partnership, directly from the Dutch Immigration Department (IND). Note that these procedures are more time-consuming and complex than the one mentioned above.

Read more about living in the Netherlands after Brexit

Tuition fee

From 1 January 2021 onwards, the amount of tuition fee you have to pay depends on whether you were living in the Netherlands and registered in your municipality’s personal records database (BRP) before 1 January 2021.

  • Living in The Netherlands and registered in your municipality’s BRP before 1 January 2021
    In this case, you are allowed to study under the same conditions, and with the same tuition fees, as those set for EU students by law and by the regulations of Leiden University. This is on condition that you remain registered as a resident in the Netherlands, without interruption, throughout your studies. If applicable, you will retain your entitlement to Dutch student finance (studiefinanciering).
  • Arriving and registering in The Netherlands after 31 December 2020
    You will be required to pay non-EU/EEA tuition fee.

Health insurance

During the Brexit transition period, the EU health insurance card (EHIC) was still valid for UK students. However as of 1 January 2021, you must take out an alternative health insurance policy. Visit the health insurance page for information on insurance requirements and the types of policy available.

Working during your studies

If you have a part-time job alongside your studies, please consult your employer to find out if, and how, your position and rights as an employee may be affected by Brexit. 

Further information

For further information, please visit the IND Brexit website, or contact the IND via the Brexit information line: tel +31 (0)88 04 30410 or by email.  
For study programme related matters, please contact your study adviser or coordinator.

Impact of Brexit for EU students in the UK

For EU citizens who were already living or studying in the UK on Brexit day, the UK will continue to run the EU Settlement Scheme until 30 June 2021. This means you should be able to carry on your life as usual, continuing to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK, much as you do now.  

Check your tuition fees

Check with your British university if tuition fees for the next academic year will be affected by Brexit. 

Erasmus+ programme

The UK has decided to cease its participation in the Erasmus+ programme. Nevertheless, Leiden University remains committed to collaboration with its partners in the UK. Students can still apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship for studies or traineeships for the academic year 2021-2022. After that, Leiden University will continue to support student exchange with British universities through the LUSTRA+ scholarship. Please note that the LUSTRA+ scholarship is not as generous as the Erasmus+ grant.

Also see the Nuffic Brexit Erasmus+ updates (in Dutch)

Further advice

For further advice, please contact your international exchange coordinator.

This website uses cookies.