All students at Leiden University should have a university ID card, known as a LU-Card.
Why do you need a LU-Card?
Your LU-Card is not proof of student registration, but is still very important. It serves as your:
- Leiden University ID card
- University library card
- Print and copy card
- Access pass for buildings and areas
- Access pass for car parks
- Access pass for the Hortus Botanicus
As soon as possible
It will take about two weeks to receive your LU-Card, so request one as soon as you receive notification that you are fully registered as a student.
To request a LU-Card you must have:
- an activated Leiden University student account (ULCN);
- a Dutch address (except for exchange students).
No Dutch address?
- Arriving in The Netherlands soon?
Enter your Dutch correspondence address in Studielink as soon as possible (not required for exchange students), then request a LU-Card by following the steps below.
- Studying online from abroad?
You cannot request a LU-Card. Instead, read about identifying yourself for exams on the online education and assessments page.
- Arriving in The Netherlands soon?
- Log into Account Services using your student account (ULCN).
- Go to 'My profile' and check that your Dutch correspondence address is correct. If your address is incorrect, update it in Studielink. Note that it will take a couple of days for your address update to be processed. Only request your LU-Card once your correct address is shown in Account Services. This step is not required for exchange students.
- Go to 'My profile' and upload a passport photo. Make sure your photo meets standard passport photo requirements.
- Within 5 to 10 days you will receive your LU-Card at your Dutch correspondence address. If you are an exchange student, you will instead receive an email letting you know when you can collect your card from Plexus Student Centre.
Exception for HOVO students
Activating your LU-Card
You first have to activate your LU-Card before you can use it. To be able to activate your LU-Card online, you need to confirm your identity. We use the ReadID Ready app for this. This page will tell you what you need to confirm your identity.
- Your new LU-Card
- Your ULCN credentials
- Your valid identity document
- A suitable smartphone (iPhone 7 or newer, Android OS 5.0 or higher)
What if you do not have a suitable smartphone?
Try to borrow a smartphone that meets the above requirements. It doesn’t matter if you don’t own the phone; it is simply a means to be able to perform the verification. After verification, no data remains on the mobile phone.
It isn’t possible to activate your LU-Card online if you don’t meet the requirements mentioned above. In that case you can go to a LU-Card Helpdesk, the adresses can be found in the right column on this page.
- Get a mobile phone and your identity document.
- Download the ReadID Ready app to your mobile phone.
- The letter with your LU-Card contains the web address for the LU-Card activation page. Please use your ULCN credentials to log in.
- A QR code will appear on screen.
- Click on the QR code to open the ReadID Ready app.
- Scan your identity document with the camera of the mobile phone.
- Hold your identity document against your phone.
- Upon successful verification, you will see a confirmation on the mobile phone.
- Your LU-Card will be activated within a few minutes.
If online activation fails, you can visit a LU-Card Helpdesk, the adresses can be found in the right column on this page.
Do you want to see the status of your LU-Card? Sign in to Account Services with your ULCN credentials. On your profile page, the LU-Card tab shows the status of your card. If the status is valid, the activation is complete.
If your LU-Card is stolen or lost, please contact the Student Affairs Front Office.
If you mistakenly hold your LU-Card and OV-card (travel pass) against a card reader at the same time problems can occur. Always keep your LU-Card and OV-card separate and never hold them against a card reader together.
Your LU-Card does not serve as official proof of student registration. If you need to demonstrate that you are registered as student of Leiden University, you must show your student or registration card or an official statement of registration.
When taking exams, you must identify yourself with your LU-Card, accompanied by a valid ID document such as your passport or EU identity card.
When you graduate, your account will be converted to an alumnus account and your LU-Card will be automatically blocked. If you want to continue using the LU-Card, please contact the Student Affairs Front Office to have your LU-Card unblocked.