All students at Leiden University should have a university ID card, known as a LU-Card.
Why do you need a LU-card?
Your LU-card is not proof of student registration, but is still very important. It serves as your:
- Leiden University ID card
- University library card
- Print and copy card
- Access pass for buildings and areas
- Access pass for car parks
- Access pass for the Hortus Botanicus
As soon as possible
It will take about two weeks to receive your LU-card, so request one as soon as possible.
To request a LU card you must have:
- Arriving in The Netherlands soon
Enter your Dutch correspondence address in Studielink as soon as possible. You can then request a LU card at your Dutch address, ready for your arrival.
- Studying online from abroad
You cannot yet request a LU card. However, if you need to identify yourself during online exams, you can instead show a statement of registration (downloaded via uSis) accompanied by your valid passport or EU ID card. Make sure to always conceal your passport/ID card number to prevent any risk of identity theft. Read more about preventing identity theft.
- Log into Account Self Service using your student account (ULCN).
- Check that your Dutch correspondence address is correct. LU-Cards are sent by post and only to addresses in The Netherlands. If your Dutch correspondence address is incorrect, update it via Studielink. Note that it will take a couple of days for your address update to be processed in your ULCN account.
- Go to 'My profile' and upload a passport photo. Make sure your photo meets standard passport photo requirements.
- Within 5 to 10 days you will receive your LU-Card at your Dutch correspondence address.
Exception for HOVO students
Activating your LU-Card
You first have to activate your LU-Card before you can use it through this website. To be able to activate your LU-Card online, you need to confirm your identity. We use the ReadID Ready app for this. This page will tell you what you need to confirm your identity.
- Your ULCN credentials
- Your valid identity document
- A suitable smartphone (iPhone 7 or newer, Android OS 5.0 or higher)
What if you do not have a suitable smartphone?
Try to borrow a smartphone that meets the above requirements. It doesn’t matter if you don’t own the phone; it is simply a means to be able to perform the verification. After verification, no data remains on the mobile phone.
It isn’t possible to activate your LU-Card online if you don’t meet the requirements mentioned above. In that case you can go to a LU-Card Helpdesk.
1. Get a mobile phone and your identity document
2. Download the ReadID Ready app to your mobile phone
3. Go to the LU-Card activation page and login with your ULCN credentials
4. A QR code will appear on screen
5. Click on the QR code to open the ReadID Ready app
6. Scan your identity document with the camera of the mobile phone
7. Hold your identity document against your phone
8. Upon successful verification, you will see a confirmation on the mobile phone
9. Your LU-Card will be activated within two working days
If your LU-Card is stolen or lost, please contact the Student Affairs Front Office.
If you mistakenly hold your LU-Card and OV-card (travel pass) against a card reader at the same time problems can occur. Always keep your LU-Card and OV-card separate and never hold them against a card reader together.
Your LU-Card does not serve as official proof of student registration. If you need to demonstrate that you are registered as student of Leiden University, you must show your student or registration card or an official statement of registration.