All students at Leiden University should have a university ID card, known as a LU-Card.
It is essential that you have a LU-Card as soon as you start studying. Your LU card serves as your:
- Leiden University ID card
- University library card
- Print and copy card
- Access pass for buildings and areas
- Access pass for car parks
- Access pass for the Hortus Botanicus
Your LU-Card is not proof of student registration but is nevertheless very important. In the future the university plans to expand the scope of the LU-Card by, for example, requiring students to show their LU-Card prior to taking exams.
How to request a LU-Card
- Log into Account Self Service using your student account (ULCN).
- Go to 'My profile' and upload a passport photo. Make sure your photo meets standard passport photo requirements.
- Within 5 to 10 days, you will receive your LU card at the Dutch address you provided in Studielink or on your student registration form.
- If you have a non-Dutch address, you will receive an email once your LU-card is ready with instructions on when and where you can collect it.
Activating your LU-card
After receiving your LU-Card, you first need to activate it at a LU-card desk. Remember to bring along valid ID!
- LU-card desk Leiden
20 August till 2 October, weekdays from 08:30 till 18:00, at P.N. van Eyckhof 4
- LU-card desk The Hague
17 August till 2 October, weekdays from 11:00 till 16:00, at Wijnhaven (ground floor behind the brasserie).
- You’ll find the answers to most LU-Card-related questions in the FAQ.
- You can also contact the LU-card central helpdesk via 071 - 527 2727 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please remember to state your account name.)
Keep your OV-chip card & LU-card separate
If you mistakenly hold your LU-card and OV-card (travel pass) against a card reader at the same time problems can occur. Always keep your LU-card and OV-card separate and never hold them against a card reader together.
Loss or theft
If your LU-card is stolen or becomes lost please contact the Student Affairs Front Office.