Course and exam enrolment
Compulsory for all components
You must enrol for all components of your study programme, such as lectures, seminars and exams. This applies to both compulsory elements and elective credits. If you are not enrolled, you may not participate.
Are you an exchange student, are you following a pre-master programme, or are you following courses whilst being registered at another Dutch university? If so, different enrolment procedures apply. You will receive further information by email.
Plan and enrol via MyStudymap
You can enrol via MyStudymap. In this system you can also plan your enrolments in advance. This means you can plan everything in your own time, then submit all your course enrolments in one go at the start of the enrolment period. Please note: your enrolment plan is not an actual enrolment and does not guarantee you a place.
How does it work?
Read the explanation and FAQ about planning and enrolling in MyStudymap.
|Academic year 2022-2023|
|For which semester||Who||When|
|Second semester||Bachelor & master||From 15 November 2022 at 13.00|
|Academic year 2022-2023|
|For which semester||Who||When|
|Second semester||Bachelor||From 13 December 2022 at 13.00|
|Master||From 14 December 2022 at 13.00|
You can find the enrolment deadlines for each course in the prospectus. For most courses, you can enrol till maximum 14 days before the course is due to start.
Busy periods: ticket system
During busy periods, MyStudymap makes use of a ticket system to prevent the system becoming overloaded. This works as follows:
- When you access MyStudymap, you will be put on a waiting list. You can see your place on the waiting list and an estimate of how long you will have to wait. You can also set up an email alert to notify you when it's your turn.
- Once it's your turn, you will have ten minutes in which to log in. If you don't log in, you will be allocated a new place on the waiting list.
- Once you are logged in, you can go ahead with your planning and enrolment.
Status of your enrolments
On the status screen in MyStudymap you can see if your enrolment has been successful. If so, you will be given access to the course environment in Brightspace and the course will appear in your personal timetable in MyTimetable. Please note: it can become very busy at the start of the enrolment period so you may have to wait a couple of hours for your enrolment to be processed.
Exams: confirm participation
If you enrol for an exam (or an exam component) this is only a so-called pre-enrolment. You must also confirm participation in MyStudymap. You can enrol and confirm participation till maximum 10 days before the exam (or exam component) date. You will receive a reminder to do so. If you do not confirm participation, you may not take the exam.
Planning and enrolling for courses and exams
Below you will find more information about enrolment for courses and examinations.
- In accordance with the prevailing registration protocol all regular Leiden University students are required to register for courses (lectures and seminars) and examinations they would like to take via MyStudymap in the student portal. They should also confirm their participation in examinations in MyStudymap. Humanities students do not have to register for the Bachelor’s Thesis and Master's Thesis.
- Full-time first-year Bachelor students are registered for first semester courses and examinations by their programme. First-year students do need to confirm participation in first semester examinations in MyStudymap. For courses and examinations in the second semester, first-year students should register via MyStudymap themselves.
- Students following courses as pre-master, exchange, contract or guest student (registered at another university in the Netherlands) cannot use MyStudymap. Click on the student group you belong to below for more information about how registering for courses and exams is organised.
On this page you can find FAQs and instructional videos on how to use the student portal, MyStudymap and the registration process.
The enrolment protocol describes the conditions and deadlines relating to the process of enrolment for courses within Leiden University by bachelor's and master's students. The following deadlines are set for all courses of the Faculty of Humanities:
- The registration period for a seminar and/or lecture starts from 13 December 13:00 (BA)/14 December 13:00 (MA) and closes 14 calendar days before the start of the course.
- The registration period for an examination starts from 13 December 13:00 (BA)/14 December 13:00 (MA) and closes automatically 10 calendar days before the examination date.
- The registration period for all resits opens 30 calendar days prior to the date of the resit and closes automatically 5 calendar days before the examination date.
- Semester 2: You can plan the second semester in MyStudymap from 15 November on. This applies both to bachelor’s and master’s students.
Before the registration period opens, you can plan your studies for the coming semester in MyStudymap.
In MyStudymap, you can see your study programme(s) and the courses you still have to take that are offered in the second semester. From 15 November, you can start planning these courses and examinations, so that you can register for all planned courses at the start of the enrolment period in one go.
Please note: your enrolment plan is not an actual enrolment and does not guarantee you a place. For more information on the difference between planning and registering, see this page.
It is possible that some courses you would like to take are not displayed in your overview in MyStudymap. This may be the case, for example, if you do not study nominally and your study programme's curriculum has changed or for elective/minor courses and extra-curricular courses.
In this case, you have to add these courses to your planning yourself by selecting this course from MyStudymap in the Prospectus. Please consult this explanation for the steps you have to take.
- Most courses have a limited capacity and can fill up quickly. If a course has no more places available, you will be notified and should register for an alternative course or work group.
NB. If you register for an examination/writing assignment, but not for the corresponding course, you cannot participate in the course.
- Pre-registration is used for a number of courses. These courses appear in MyStudymap with a notification that the study group is full. In that case, you cannot register. You will be informed by your study programme if pre-registration is applicable.
- Semester 2: You can register for lectures, seminars and examinations from 1 p.m. on 13 December for bachelor’s programmes and 1 p.m. on 14 December for master’s programmes.
From 13 December 13:00 (BA) and 14 December 13:00 (MA), it is possible to register for the planned activities in MyStudymap.
During busy periods, MyStudymap makes use of a ticket system to prevent the system becoming overloaded. For more information on the ticketing system, see under 'General' tab.
Registration for a course in MyStudymap also leads to access to the course module in Brightspace, Leiden University's digital learning environment.
When you register for an examination, this is a so-called pre-enrolment. You must also confirm participation in MyStudymap.
You must definitively confirm your participation in examinations via MyStudymap in order to take part. This can be done until 10 days before the date of the examination. You will receive a notification 30 days before the examination date asking you to confirm your participation or to indicate that you do not wish to take part in the examination. You can do this up to 10 calendar days before the examination.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW:
If you have not confirmed your participation at least ten days before the examination, you will be deregistered from the examination. In that case, you are not allowed to participate.
In the following way you can check in MyStudymap if your enrolment for the examination(s) - preregistration and confirmation- is complete:
- Log in to MyStudymap and go to 'Confirm participation exams'.
- Check if you confirmed your participation with 'YES'.
- Check your messages in MyStudymap for validation of your confirmation.
The registration process for papers and written assignment as final assignment is the same as for examinations. However, confirmation of participation is not required for written assignments/papers.
Students following a pre-master's programme cannot register via MyStudymap. They must register for courses and examinations via uSis themselves. Course descriptions, including catalog numbers, can be found in the Prospectus.
For pre-master students, registration for courses and examinations for courses of semester 2 will open mid-December. Further, the same deadlines apply as for regular students (see 'Deadline for registration for courses and examinations').
N.B. As a pre-master student, you do not need to confirm your participation in examinations.
Guest students (registered at another university in the Netherlands) taking (minor/elective) courses at Leiden University cannot register via MyStudymap. They must register themselves via uSis for courses and examinations. Course descriptions, including catalog numbers, can be found in the Prospectus.
For guest students, registration for courses and examinations for courses of semester 2 will open mid-December. Further, the same deadlines apply as for regular students (see 'Deadline for registration for courses and examinations').
N.B. As a guest student, you do not need to confirm your participation in examinations.
Exchange students are registered in uSis for courses and examinations in both semester 1 and semester 2 by the Humanities International Office.
N.B. As an Exchange student, you do not need to confirm your participation in examinations.
Contract students are registered in uSis for courses and examinations in both semester 1 and semester 2 by the Student Information Desk.
N.B. As a Contract student, you do not need to confirm your participation in examinations.