Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Regulations on working/internships

Do you have a student residence permit and would like to work or do an internship during your studies? Find out about the regulations that apply to you.


If you have a student residence permit you may work alongside your studies, however the following conditions apply:

  • You may work a maximum of 16 per week, or full time during the summer months  (June, July and August) - not both.
  • Your employer must requests a work permit for you. Make sure to request a copy of the work permit for your own records.

See the Study in Holland webpage on working while studying for more information.


If you want to do an internship that is part of, or relevant to, your study programme, you need to arrange a standard internship agreement. This must be completed and signed by you, your employer and your programme coordinator. For more information on internships, see our webpage on internships and research projects.

Insurance while working

As soon as you start working – even if this is only for one day – you will need to change your student health insurance policy into a Dutch public health insurance policy. This is also the case for paid internships. Read more on our insurance pages.

Visa/residence permit consulting hours

If you have a question about your residence permit, drop by during the ‘Visa/Residence Permit Consulting Hours’ - see contact block for details. 

This website uses cookies. Read