What's your idea for bringing Dutch and international students together?
Do you have a creative idea for improving contacts between Dutch and international students? Work out a plan and you could win the Van Bergen Prize and earn 5,000 euros to put your idea into practice. Deadline: 11 November 2019.
Of the 23,000 students at Leiden University, more than 2,000 come from abroad, and over 110 different nationalities are represented in Leiden and The Hague. So how do you make sure they mix well with one another? The annual Van Bergen Prize aims to encourage ideas that will promote the integration of Dutch and international students.
Students, lecturers, PhD candidates, student associations: everyone associated with the University is welcome to submit their plan. The deadline for submissions is 11 November 2019. What kind of plan can you submit? It could be something like organising activities related to lectures or tutorials attended by a number of international students, or making it possible for newly arrived international students to take part in cultural or sporting activities (such as a choir, an orchestra, a band, a small musical ensemble, a dance club, or a sports club). The prize will be awarded to the group or organisation that comes up with the best and most innovative plan. The winner of the prize is also expected to actually implement their plan.
An idea for the Van Bergen Prize:
- should be an innovative activity for the Leiden University community;
- stimulates contacts between Dutch and international students, or promotes better relations between different cultures;
- is for a large target group, for example the whole Leiden community or a large group within the University;
- can be implemented relatively easily.
N.B. The Fund finances the start of the initiative. Ultimately, the intention is that the plan will become self-sustaining. Bear in mind that there is no budget for time spent working on the initiative nor for providing food and drink during the activities: the basis of the initiative is that it is voluntary.
To help you, here are some guidelines for putting your plan together. You can include the following categories in your plan:
- introduction setting out your plan and describing the underlying ideas and aims (between 300 and 400 words);
- description of how the plan can be implemented in the year 2020, including a timeline (also between 300 and 400 words);
- cost budget, including any other sources of funding.
How can you submit your plan?
Send in your idea for the Van Bergen Prize via this form. Your idea should be in English and formatted as a PDF.
Send in your idea before 11 November 2019!
Phone number: +31 (0)71 527 8025