Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Permission required for study-related activities abroad

19 May 2021

Since the easing of corona measures, you are allowed to go abroad for study-related activities to countries that are classified as code green or yellow according to Dutch government travel advice. In two exceptional situations you may also request permission to travel to code orange areas. Travel to code red countries is never permitted.

At your own risk

When going abroad, be aware that you do so at your own risk. This means that you cannot request financial assistance from Leiden University, even if you must, or choose to, return quickly to the Netherlands due to coronavirus-related issues (repatriation). Most travel insurance policies do not cover repatriation costs arising from COVID-19. You are therefore solely responsible for all costs.*

* Exceptions may be made for activities abroad that are a compulsory part of your study programme.  

Green or yellow destinations only

In principle, you may only travel to areas that are classified as code green or yellow according to Dutch governmental travel advice. Check the colour code of your intended destination.

Request permission for code orange destinations

In the following two situations the university may grant permission to travel to a code orange destination*:

  • The country is code orange only due to an entry ban for foreigners (i.e. not due to it being a corona high-risk area) , and:
    • you are a citizen of the country in question and are therefore welcome, or
    • the government of the country specifically permits students to enter.
  • The destination is your home country and you are already there.

* Exceptions: you may travel to the following code-orange destinations without requesting permission: United Kingdom, NIMAR institute in Rabat, NVIC institute in Cairo, and NIT institute in Istanbul.


Request permission a maximum of 4 weeks before departure.


  • Obtain written permission from your study programme for your study-related activity abroad. You will need this for your request.
  • Complete the online request form.
  • You will receive a response within 10 days.
  • If your request is denied, you are not entitled to appeal against the decision.

Do not go without permission!

If you go abroad for study-related activities without permission, you will not receive study credits and will not be entitled to scholarship funding or any other forms of financial support.

Returning to the Netherlands

All students must follow the Dutch government's advice for travellers returning to the Netherlands. If the government advises you to remain at home for 10 days upon your return, you are not permitted to be physically present at the university within those 10 days.

Last updated: 18 May 2021

This website uses cookies.