Vacancy: student member of the Programme Board of the Institute of Political Science
Representing students’ interests and perspectives within the Institute’s governance
The Programme Board of the Institute of Political Science seeks a new student-member for the 2021-2022 academic year. This is an important position responsible for representing students’ interests and perspectives within the institute’s governance. The current student-member describes it as “A great opportunity to learn about administrative and managerial processes and to make students’ voices heard. A truly amazing experience!”
The student-member works for 6 hours per week for the Institute. This position runs from 1 September 2021 to 31 August 2022. Proficiency in the Dutch language is preferred but not required. In case you do not understand Dutch, you will be responsible for interpreting Dutch documents yourself. Below you will find more details on this position and the application procedure.
As a student member, you will attend board meetings and reflect from a student perspective on everything that has to do with education and teaching. In addition, you will form the link between the Institute and students while working together with other active students at the Institute and Faculty level in order to safeguard the interests of all Bachelor and Master students at our Institute.
- Participate in weekly board meetings
- Participate in the (faculty-level) Student Programme Boards Consultation (1x per month)
- Organise and conduct elections for the BSc and MSc Programme Committees (OLC)
- Keep in touch with the student members of the Programme Committees (OLC)
- Participate as a student member in the selection/hiring committees of new teaching staff
- You must be registered as a student during the 2021-2022 academic year in one of the Bachelor specialisations (Political Science, IP/IBO or IRO) or one of the Master specialisations of the Institute of Political Science.
- You are consistently available throughout the academic year and do not have any extended travel plans, such as study abroad.
- You can work with both Dutch and English documents.
- You can maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information and documents that are shared within the board.
- You are flexibly available for ad hoc consultation and decision-making. In the 2021-2022 academic year, Monday afternoons are reserved for board meetings.
- You are prepared to travel between Leiden and The Hague for meetings and maintain a relationship with various bodies of the Faculty. Any travel costs made between Leiden-DH will be reimbursed.
Apply before 10 May 2021
If you are enthusiastic and motivated to take up this position from 1 September, apply now! Send a short motivation letter and your CV to the current student member, Susanne Goetz (email@example.com), no later than 9 May 2021, 23:59. Please note that interviews for this position will be held on the 3rd of June. You can contact the current student member for questions about the position.
On behalf of the Programme Board,