Vacancy: Student mentor – Master of Public Administration: International and European Governance
Vacancy only open for students from International and European Governance
For the Master Public Administration, we are looking for an enthusiastic and committed student mentor to familiarise new master’s students with university life, as well as studying and living in The Hague. The student mentor is responsible for building a student community within and across the specialisation International & European Governance.
You are a first point of contact for the new cohort of students. You organise activities (online and where possible offline) to familiarise students and help them feel welcome, but also specialisation-related meetings, organisation visits and other events. You inform them on the educational facilities and systems, student wellbeing and career preparation. You will also represent your specialisation in information and recruitment activities, support the student ambassador, and answer questions of prospective students.
You will coordinate your activities with the specialisation coordinator. You maintain close contacts and work together with the student mentors of the other specialisations and masters within the faculty, the student members of the programme committee of the masters (MOLC) and the study association B.I.L.
- Active registration for the Master Public Administration (at least) from September 2021;
- Contageously enthusiastic to connect students to each other and the programme, faculty and university (community building) – also remotely.
- Good communication skills and command of English;
- Organisationally and digitally competent;
- Works independently and takes initiative;
- Empathetic and helpful towards fellow students;
- Values inclusiveness and diversity;
- Preferably experience in guiding groups (e.g. teaching or training like in sports associations);
- Available between 1 August 2021 and 1 January 2022 for 4 - 6 hours per week;
- Legally able to work in the Netherlands.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Motivating your students and connecting them to the programme, faculty and university;
- Planning regular contact moments with your community;
- Translating contact and information needs among students to (offline/online) formats;
- Involve relevant people and departments within programme, faculty and university for special thematic sessions, such as career and thesis;
- If possible, organise events on campus in cooperation with other departments;
- First point of contact for practical and other questions from your mentor group;
- Refer students to relevant support, department or procedure.
- Training programme in which you learn competences in leadership;
- Responsibility and experience in mentoring groups;
- Becoming part of a network of student mentors who can support and learn from each other;
- Supervision from a study advisor from the Institute of Public Administration;
- Compensation in accordance with the collective labour agreement of Leiden University, including holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus.
About the Institute of Public Administration
The Institute of Public Administration is one of the largest and oldest institutes of academic research and teaching in the field of public administration in the Netherlands and is located in The Hague. The institute combines a solid international academic reputation with a central positioning among the international, national, regional and local governance institutions of The Hague.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its workforce and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Charlotte Rosalie, study advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you recognise yourself in this profile and are you excited to take on these tasks? Please apply for this vacancy by sending:
- your CV (if available with a link to your LinkedIn profile), and
- a video of maximum 2 minutes in which you;
- introduce yourself to your (future) mentor group, and
- explain which topics you will add to the programme and why.
Send your application before 20 August 2021 stating your name, student number and specialisation to email@example.com.
Acquisition as a result of this advertisement is not appreciated.