Update Friday 4 June 2021: We’ll meet again at the faculty in the new academic year 2021-2022
All courses have been completed, the exam period has started, and summer is just around the corner. We hope that you are still in good health after all your hard work this year.
We are pleased to inform you about the latest developments at the faculty. The current situation in the Netherlands remains guiding in relation to all information provided.
Doors open September 2021
More national measures are scheduled to be eased this week. For education, too, there is now a clear scenario for the start of the new academic year. We will go back to our campus and the most important points are:
- Classes will be on location, on campus, provided this can be done safely;
- Course schedules will be as they were before the pandemic, tailored to each course;
- The 1.5 metre rule will no longer be necessary in the buildings;
- For the time being, however, there is a maximum capacity for lectures of 75 students (this measure may be abandoned later);
- The current situation in the Netherlands remains guiding in relation to all information provided.
New students will all be invited to come to Leiden and/or The Hague in September. For students who are unable to come to the faculty due to travel restrictions or because they have coronavirus or symptoms, hybrid teaching will be offered or via recordings.
You can, under certain conditions, travel abroad for study-related activities. You can only go to a country in a green or yellow zone according to Dutch government advice. We are pleased that we can once again offer our students the opportunity to gain international experience, however the situation remains uncertain. We are continuing to closely monitor the latest travel advice and changes in corona-related measures. All information is available on the website.
Tip! Are you going abroad soon for study, an internship, research or a summer school? Sign up for the event Health, security and cultural awareness when going abroad which will be held on Monday 7 June. Leo Harskamp, Head of Security at Leiden University, will explain how you can best prepare and travel safely when staying abroad. Registration
As a result of the measures being eased, there are new possibilities for events. Graduation ceremonies and the introduction weeks for bachelor’s and master’s students will be organised according to these limits:
- Diploma awards and graduation ceremonies are related to education and the room capacity will determine the number of participants. You will receive information from the education information centre (OIC);
- The Faculty Club will be open from 7 June and you will be allowed to sit in the faculty cafés.
Get fit for summer
- The USC will be fully open from Saturday 5 June, and all group lessons will start again.
- The extension of the maximum group size to 50 persons means you can once again safely take a class in yoga, Zumba, modern dance, club power, gladiator, jumping or boxing (and more).
The university always follows the most recent coronavirus rules in relation to our teaching and research. The most recent update is available on https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/dossiers/coronavirus/updates.