Leiden Empowerment Fund
The aim of the Leiden Empowerment Fund (LEF) is to enable all students and academics at Leiden University to realise their ambitions by creating an academic environment with equal opportunities for all.
- Monday 31 May 2021 | 13.00 hrs
- Target group
- Short Course, PhD
- Countries/ nationalities
- Not applicable
- Scholarship type
- Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Science
In this grant round, we will be providing LEF grants to first-generation academics who have faced obstacles during their research. First-generation students and academics have considerably less access to networks within and outside the University, and a lack of financial resources often hampers their studies or research. We speak of first-generation scientists if the parents of the researcher did not study at a university.
If you are a first-generation academic, you can apply for an individual grant. This could be for a research project, for writing an article or for preparing for another, larger grant application.
To be eligible for this LEF grant round, which is administered by Leiden University Fund (LUF), you must meet the following conditions:
- At the time of submitting your grant application, you must have obtained your PhD no more than five years ago;
- You must currently be employed on a fixed-term contract by Leiden University or must have been employed by Leiden University no more than four months before the submission date of your grant application and must have no other paid appointment;
- The grant application must relate to a time-bound project for which no other funding option is available.
No later than two months after completion a final report must be submitted. This report includes a descriptive report, a financial expenses claim and some photo material. More information about these requirements can be found on the website of the Leiden University Fund.
The maximum grant you can apply for is 15.000 euros. If you are awarded a grant, you will receive this in two instalments. The first will be 80% of the grant, which you will receive within one month of being awarded the grant. The second will be the remaining 20%, which you will receive once you have submitted your final report, inasmuch as you have actually incurred the expenses.
Application and selection process
More information about the application process can be found on the website of the Leiden University Fund. The LEF’s Expenditure Committee, consisting of Dr. K. Beerden, Prof.dr. M. Bussemaker, mr. H.S.C. Crebolder and Dr. H.F. Verwey. will assess the applications that have been submitted.
For further information contact Inge Erkelens through e-mail.