Universiteit Leiden

nl en


All residents in the Netherlands must have adequate health insurance at all times. What type of policy you need depends on the coverage you require and whether you will work or do a paid internship during your studies.

What type of insurance?

All residents in the Netherlands must have sufficient health insurance. Liability insurance is also highly recommended. Make sure to check you have the correct insurance for your situation and that your policy is up to date.

Be aware that in some situations you are obliged to take out Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzerkering). These are:

  • You work during your studies.
  • You are a salaried PhD candidate.
  • You will do a paid internship for which you will earn at least the Dutch minimum wage.

    You can calculate the Dutch minimum wage for your age and situation via
    this online tool. The tool is only available in Dutch, however you are welcome to contact an International Student Adviser for assistance if required.

If you fall into one of these categories but do not take out the correct insurance, you risk a hefty fine. 

If you have a student residence permit you will be asked to submit proof that you are adequately insured at the start of each academic year. This is compulsory if you wish to retain your right to a student residence permit. 

You can find detailed information about insurance requirements, types and other related issues on our health and liability insurance webpage. If you have a question about insurances or health care allowance please contact the International Student Adviser

Letter from the CAK (National Health Care Institute)

The majority of international students do not need to take out Dutch public health insurance, unless they work or do a paid internship. However after registering at your local Dutch town hall you may receive a letter from the National Health Care Institute (CAK) stating that, according to their records, you are not insured and must take out Dutch public health insurance (basiszorgverzekering) immediately. It is important that you respond to this letter within three months, even if you think you have received it by mistake, otherwise you risk being fined. Please refer to the Study In Holland FAQ on letter from CAK for information of what action to take. If you encounter any difficulties please contact the International Student Adviser.

Insurance advice for international students

If you are an international student and need advice on health insurance, please contact the International Student Adviser.

This website uses cookies. Read