Universiteit Leiden

nl en


Students with a disability can incur additional expenses both during their studies and in daily life. There are a number of regulations, funds and special allowances in place that can help to ease the financial burden.

Dutch student finance

If you are an EU citizen you may be entitled to Dutch student finance depening on the length of your stay, however there are certain additional conditions that must be met. If your disability is preventing you from meeting one or more of these conditions you may be able to request an exemption, in accordance with certain legal provisions. If you think you may qualify for an exemption please make an appointment with a student counsellor.

The following options may be available to you:  

  • An additional year of student finance - if your academic progress has been delayed.
  • The waiving of your obligation to repay your 1200 euro study advance (studievoorschot) upon completion of your Bachelor’s or Master’s programme. Requests can be made via a student counsellor.
  • An extension to the deadline for obtaining your diploma - if your academic progress has been delayed.
  • The conversion of your loan into a gift – if you are unable to pass your final exam.
  • An amendment to the maximum age limit for student finance - if your academic progress has been delayed.


If you are an EU citizen you may be able to request financial support in some circumstances via a number of funds.  

Regulations on financial support for students

If you fall behind in your studies as a consequence of your disability you may be able to request financial assistance (under certain conditions) in accordance with the regulations on financial support for students

Erasmus scholarship

Erasmus students who incur additional costs as a result of their disability whilst studying abroad may be entitled to additional financial assistance. All European Union countries are part of the Erasmus+programme. In general a maximum of 5000 euro can be awarded for the entire period of study abroad, however higher amounts may be awarded in exceptional circumstances. These amounts are in addition to the standard Erasmus scholarship. If you will study abroad outside the European Union the Erasmus scheme does not apply and you should instead contact Fenestra Disability Centre to enquire about other options.  

Emergency fund

To check whether you are eligible for financial support from the emergency fund please contact a student counsellor.

Physical aids

Fenestra Disability Centre can provide physical aids to be used within the university, for example:

  • Recording lectures and tutorials
  • Examination papers in a larger format
  • Use of laptops for examinations

If you require adaptations, physical aids, additional support or transport you may be able to request a special allowance. Please contact Fenestra Disability Centre for further information.​

Housing & transport

Please visit the Housing page for information about adaptations to your home and homecare. If you have any questions please contact fenestra@plexus.leidenuniv.nl.

If you are a European Union citizen and are unable to travel to Leiden University by public transport due to your disability, you may be able to request transport facilities from your municipality in accordance with the Social Support Act (Wet Maatschappelijke Ondersteuning – in Dutch). Please contact fenestra@plexus.leidenuniv.nl to discuss possibilities.


If you need homecare, for example someone to adminster injections every day or help you get dressed in the morning, this can be arranged. Unfortunately the costs are very high and international students are not entitled to any compensation or funding for these services. Please contact the student counsellors if you need homecare and are considering studying at Leiden University.

This website uses cookies.