Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Binding study advice

As a Bachelor student at Leiden University, you will be issued with binding study advice (BSA). This means you must obtain sufficient study credits in your first year of study to be permitted to continue your Bachelor’s programme.

How does it work?

  • Halfway through the academic year (31 January at the latest), you will receive a message about your academic progress. If you are falling behind, your study programme will warn you to improve your performance to avoid being issued with negative advice.
  • If your results are still insufficient, you will receive another warning message in May or June.
  • At the end of the academic year (15 August at the latest), you will receive binding study advice. If you have insufficient study credits (EC) the advice will be negative. This means you must discontinue your study programme and won’t be allowed to register on the same programme for the coming four years.
  • If you registered later than 1 September, your study programme may postpone the issuing of binding study advice until the end of your second year.

  • Your study advice will be sent to your uMail address and can also be found under the email tab in uSis Student Self Service.


  • Full time students: 45 EC
  • Part time students: 30 EC

Some programmes have additional requirements, for example passing a specific course. Look in your programme’s Course and Examination regulations to find out if any additional requirements are in place.

Exceptional circumstances

If you have obtained insufficient study credits due to exceptional circumstances, such as illness, exceptional family circumstances, pregnancy or student board membership duties, your study programme must take this into consideration when issuing study advice.

  • Discuss the exceptional circumstances as soon as possible with your study adviser and draw up an adapted study plan together.
  • You will also need a statement issued by a professional, for example a doctor or psychologist. If you have difficulties obtaining a statement, ask your study adviser for help.

If your study programme has not received sufficient information about your exceptional circumstances by the end of your first year, it can choose to withhold the issuing of binding study advice until the end of your second year.

This website uses cookies. Read