As a student of Leiden University you are provided with a student account (ULCN account) that allows you to access a variety of systems such as uMail, uSis, Blackboard and library catalogues, as well as the physical workstations within the university.
Username and password
Receiving your account details
After registering in Studielink or with the student administration department you will receive your username and password by email or post. Your username is your student number preceded by a lowercase letter ‘s’. In some cases you will also receive a temporary password.
No account details received? Report it via the helpdesk portal. Also check that your address is correct in Studielink to ensure you receive all future correspondence.
The email or letter containing your account details will be sent to the address you provided in Studielink or your student registration form. Note that you will only be able to use your account after (re)setting your password via Account Self Service
- If you have received a temporary password - first reset your password
- If you haven’t received a password - first activate your account
In Account Self Service you must first enter a number of security questions. These will enable you to re-set your password at a later date in case of loss or expiry. You also have the option of entering your mobile phone number so you can receive a new password by text message.
If you’re having trouble logging-in take a look in our FAQs for log-in tips.
Changing your password
Passwords need to be changed regularly. You’ll receive a reminder to do so by email. You can change your password in Account Self Service.
Forgotten or expired password?
If you forget your password or if it expires there are two ways of resetting it.
1. Account Self Service: you can reset your own password by correctly answering the security questions you previously entered.
2. Helpdesk: you can request a new password online or by contacting a helpdesk. You’ll receive your new password either:
- By post. First check your address is correct in studielink or at the Student Affairs Front Office.
- By text message: This is only possible if you previously entered a mobile phone number into Account Self Service.
- In person at the Helpdesk. Remember to take your LU-card or another valid ID along with you!
Code of conduct and house rules
The use of your account and the university’s ICT facilities is governed by a code of conduct. By logging into the university’s ICT facilities with your account you agree to abide by this code of conduct. Measures will be taken in the event of misuse. You must also abide by the house rules of the building in which you find yourself.
All students at Leiden University should have a university ID card, known as a LU-Card. You can request a LU-Card as soon as you receive your student account (ULCN).