Approval and application
First check your exchange programme type!
Different deadlines and procedures apply depending on whether you want to apply for destinations via a university-wide exchange programme, via a faculty exchange programme, or (if applicable) via a special exchange programme only for students on your study programme.
- For destinations via a university-wide exchange programme: follow the instructions and deadlines here below on the general tab.
- For destinations via a faculty exchange programmes, or via a special exchange programme only for students on your study programme: click on your faculty or study programme tab and follow the instructions and deadlines there.
If you want to go abroad via a university-wide exchange programme in autumn 2023 or spring 2024, you can apply until 23:59 on 1 December 2022.
Note that different deadlines apply if you are going abroad via a faculty or study programme-specific exchange programme. See your faculty or study programme tab for details.
Apply on time
Make sure your application is complete on time. Late applications will not be considered.
To apply for a university-wide exchange programme, you must meet the following requirements:
- You are registered as a student of Leiden University;
- You have obtained at least 60EC of your bachelor’s programme;
- Your average grade is 7 or higher*;
- You meet any additional requirements specified by your faculty or programme (these can be found under your faculty or programme tab).
*Exception: for the ISEP programme an average grade of 6.5 or higher is required.
Steps to take
After looking through all the options in the world map, draw up a list of (up to) ten universities where you would like to study, in order of preference. Remember that lots of students want to study abroad and places are limited, so it’s wise to select at least five universities.
Letter of motivation
Download the motivation letter template, complete it (200 to 300 words per selected university) and upload it in uSis:
Second semester as plan B
Are you applying for the first semester but could also go abroad in the second semester (or vice versa)? Mention this in your letter by ticking the checkbox with the text 'Yes, I wish to be considered for a different semester if I am not selected for my first choice of semester.' Please note that it is important to discuss this with your study adviser in advance to make sure your study programme permits exchange in the second semester.
Transcript: only for LUC, joint degree, and university studies elsewhere
In your online application you will be asked to grant us permission to view your grades in uSis. You therefore do not need to upload a transcript except in the following cases:
- Leiden University College (LUC): if you are, or have been, studying at LUC, request an official transcript with GPA from the LUC course administration and upload it in your application.
- Joint degree: if you do a joint degree at Leiden University and TU Delft, request an official TU Delft transcript with GPA and upload it in your application.
- University studies elsewhere: if you have also studied at a university other than Leiden University, upload your transcript with GPA from that institution.
- Log into uSis > click on the study abroad tile > select ‘I want to study at a partner university via an exchange programme’.
- Enter the requested data and upload the required documents.
- Select your (max. 10) exchange destinations in order of preference.
- Submit your application.
If you need further explanation, consult the Manual on applying for university-wide exchange via uSis.
You may only go on exchange with the approval of your study programme. Once you submit your application, the international exchange coordinator will ask your programme to confirm its approval.
Once your programme confirms its approval you will be included in the selection process. You will be notified of the results by email. If you are offered a place, you will be invited to log into the study abroad portal to view the details of the offered place. Make sure to read all the information and conditions of the offer carefully.
If you have been offered a place, you must accept or decline it within 7 days in the uSis study abroad portal. If you do not accept the offer on time, it will be withdrawn. When accepting your place, you must agree to the Regulations on Studying Abroad. Be prepared and read these in advance. If you have any questions about the regulations, contact your international exchange coordinator.
Once you accept your place, Leiden University will nominate you to your host institution. You will then receive instructions on how and when to submit your application to your host institution, either from your international exchange coordinator or directly from the host itself.