Universiteit Leiden

nl en


Exchange programmes offer an easy way to study abroad. You’ll study at a university that has an agreement with Leiden University and, in return, a student from that university will come to study here.

Corona measures

If you are planning on studying abroad, the coronavirus situation can certainly be a cause for uncertainty. By following the advice and guidelines on the Health and Safety page, you can minimise any potential (financial) risks as much as possible. Still unsure whether it’s a good idea to study abroad at the moment? Read the university’s advice.

Also take a look at the study abroad and corona FAQs.

Characteristics of exchange programmes

  • You will apply via Leiden University and must meet certain eligibility criteria.
  • There are limited spaces available, so you are not guaranteed a place on an exchange programme. Leiden University selects students on the basis of their grades and motivation.
  • Exchange programmes are inexpensive. You will remain registered as a student of Leiden University and won’t need to pay additional tuition fees to your host university.
  • If you get advance permission from your Board of Examiners, the credits you earn can be counted towards your study programme at Leiden University.

Two types of exchange

There are two types of exchange programme:

  1. University-wide
  2. Via a faculty or study programme

Characteristics of university-wide exchange

  • As a rule, for students of all disciplines. Conditions may apply.
  • At your host university, you can generally follow courses offered by any programme or faculty.
  • All destinations are outside Europe.
  • The programme is organised by the international exchange coordinator for university-wide exchange, whom you can contact with any questions.

Characteristics of exchange via a faculty or study programme

  • Only for students from specific study programmes or faculties.
  • You may only follow courses offered by specific study programmes or faculties at your host university.
  • Destinations are both within Europe (Erasmus+) and outside Europe.
  • The programme is organised by the international exchange coordinator at your faculty or programme, whom you can contact with any questions.
Exchange in South Korea. (Photo: Anna Hommel)
Exchange in South Korea. (Photo: Anna Hommel)

Exchange Programmes

The Faculty of Humanities has a large network of student exchange partnerships within Europe. These are the so-called Erasmus+ partnerships, for more information see Where?.

Going abroad indepently

Students who independently apply to a university of their choosing are called 'Free movers'. For more information, see Going abroad independently

Mandatory Studies Abroad

A number of BA and MA programmes in the Faculty of Humanities have a mandatory study abroad period as a component of the programme. These students are usually not considered to be exchange students. For more information, please check your programme specific tab.

Every year students of Korean Studies spend a year in (South) Korea, partly as fulfillment of their MA degree. The Korean Studies MA programme has an agreement with Yonsei University in Seoul. Students depart for Korea after completion of the first semester in Leiden.


To receive a contribution towards the costs of your study abroad period, you may apply for the Outbound Study Grant. For more information contact Karin Aalderink

Other interesting funding opportunities:

Registration procedure

Questions regarding application procedures should be directed to the International Office. 

With regard to uSis: You do not need to register in uSis for the semesters abroad. This will be taken up by the administration's office after completion of your year abroad.

Programme in Korea

You will be taking classes at Yonsei University, Seoul. This is a high-rated university with experience in receiving foreign students. 

To discuss your program at Yonsei University, you should contact the coordinator of studies, Dr. Guita Winkel and Professor Remco Breuker.

Preparation for re-enrollment for the second year of the MA programme

Before your departure for Korea, make sure to check your registration address with the university administration. Your re-enrolment form for the next academic year will be sent to that address. It is important to arrange for your post to be forwarded to you in Korea. Also make sure to arrange beforehand for the payment of your Leiden University tuition fee for the second year (or authorize someone to do it for you). Handling these things from Korea can be quite bothersome! 

For more information on re-registering in September please contact the Front Office Student Affairs (tel. 071-5278011).

Contact information

This website uses cookies.