To arrange upon your return
Have your credits recognised
Before departure, did you get approval for the credits you earn abroad to be counted towards your studies in Leiden (see ‘to arrange before departure’)? If so, you need to have your credits recognised upon your return.
In general, your host university will send your transcript directly to the international exchange coordinator, who will pass it on to your study programme. You can check that your credits have been recognised by looking in uSis or visiting your education administration office.
Your experiences and tips are a great source of information for other students who would like to study abroad at the same university. Upon your return, remember to write a report about your stay using this study abroad report template. You will receive an email reminding you to do so.
Help other students on their way
With your study abroad experience, you can help other students on their way to their own international adventure:
- Pre-departure event (university-wide exchange)
Meet students who are going to study at your host university and share your experiences with them. The pre-departure event takes place in April.
- Study Abroad Festival
Share your experiences with students who are thinking of studying abroad. The Study Abroad Festival takes place in October.
- Study Abroad photo and film contest
Capture your study abroad adventure on film and win prizes.
If you have been away on exchange, you will receive an invitation to take part in all these events.
International Student Network
Would you like to be part of the international student community upon your return? If so, join the International Student Network Leiden. It’s a great way to meet students from all over the world, share experiences and keep that international feeling!
Also take a look under your faculty or programme tab
If your faculty or programme has additional steps that you need to take upon your return, these will be explained under your faculty or programme tab.
To arrange upon your return
Recognition of credits
As soon as you return, you can get the courses that were approved before your departure officially recognised by the Psychology department. Sometimes the host university will send a transcript directly to the university, but this is not always the case. It is your responsibility to submit an application for recognition of your credits. Without this application, the transcript will not be processed.
Application for credit recognition step-by-step
- Ask your host university to send your transcript directly to your international exchange coordinator. The original document should be sent to:
Faculty of Social Sciences
Institute of Psychology Office
c/o F. Weekenstroo
PO box: 9555
2300 RB Leiden
- Fill in the application form. Copy the course titles word for word from the transcript.
- Send the application form to your international exchange coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org or take it to one of the walk in consulting hours.
- Submit a petition request 'external education’ in uSis.
- As soon as the international exchange coordinator has received your transcript and your application form, the grades will be converted. The grades cannot be entered on uSis until you have submitted an official petition.
- As soon as your grades have appeared on uSis, you can request the original transcript from the Student Services Centre.
Don't leave it too late
It is your responsibility to request the recognition of the credits you have earned on time. Are you graduating soon and do you want these credits to count towards your degree? Then you must arrange this as soon as you return, to be sure that the credits can be recognized on time.