Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Health and safety

Information session

Make sure to attend the special information session on health and safety abroad. During this meeting you’ll receive tips on how to prepare your stay and to travel safely. The meetings are organized on a monthly basis, alternating between Leiden and the Hague.

More information & registration


University emergency number

In case of emergencies during your stay abroad, call the university’s emergency phone number:

+31 71 527 6666

This number can be reached 24 hours a day.

Register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

You are advised to register  with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (website in Dutch). The ministry can then reach you and send help if required in a crisis situation (such as natural disaster or political unrest). Registration is free.

Download the app

Also download the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s 24/7 BZ Reis-app (in Dutch). Via the app you can check the security situation in any country and receive notifications if the situation changes.

Negative travel advice? Check your destination

You may not go on exchange in a country for which negative travel advice has been issued.

  • Check here if your destination is safe. This webpage is in Dutch, but by entering the country name (Dutch spelling) you can view the safety status on a map. If your destination is red or orange, you may not go there.
  • The situation in your destination country could change after your trip has been arranged or after you get there. If this occurs, you must postpone or change your plans.
  • Buy a flight ticket that can be changed or cancelled and take out cancellation insurance, just in case you have to change your plans.

Provide your contact details

It is important that the university knows where you are staying and how to reach you. Make sure to provide your contact details once you reach your destination. If you are going on exchange, you can do this via the online application system. In all other cases, you will receive a reminder by email after you reach your destination.

Vaccinations, medication and advice

Department of Health, Safety and Environment (VGM)

If you need vaccinations or medication for your stay abroad, for example malaria tablets, contact the university’s department of Health, Safety and Environment (in Dutch: Veiligheid, Gezondheid & Milieu or VGM). The VGM can also provide you with tailor-made health advice.

Location: Poort building-South
Walk-in hours: Monday to Friday from 8.30 till 9.30
By appointment: 071 - 526 3643


You can also find country-specific health advice on the World Health Organisation website.

Health certificate

For some countries you will need a health certificate. You can request one from:

Important documents and telephone numbers

Make a scan of all your important documents, for example:

  • Passport/ID card
  • Visa
  • Flight tickets
  • Insurance cards
  • Credit card
  • Debit card

Save important phone numbers in your telephone, for example:

  • The university’s emergency numbers: +31 71 527 6666 (available 24/7)
  • Your insurance company’s emergency number
  • Phone numbers for blocking your credit card, debit card or telephone

Online safety

Naturally you’ll want to go online during your stay abroad. But be aware of potential risks. If you use unsecure wifi networks, you risk having your data stolen or misused. In certain countries you can even be jailed for breaking internet-use regulations. Find out about online safety before your stay abroad. This handy guide will tell you all you need to know.   


In general, you can study abroad if you have a disability. As with the rest of your studies, it may require a little more planning and support. 


Discuss your plans with your international exchange coordinator and Fenestra Disability Centre. They can assist you in planning your stay abroad by, for example, finding out whether your destination can offer the facilities you need and making the necessary arrangements with your host university.  

Financial support

If you will incur additional costs while studying abroad due to a disability, you can request additional funding. 

  • Are you going to a European country? Request additional funding from the Erasmus+ programme.
  • Are you going to a country outside Europe? Request additional funding via Fenestra Disability Centre.

Start early

Begin planning your stay abroad well in advance. Application deadlines are often very early and requests for additional support and facilities can be time consuming. Start early to ensure you have sufficient time to make the necessary arrangements.  

This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.

You can leave our website to view this video.

Safety during fieldwork or internship

For your own safety during fieldwork or intership, please see the information on the university crisis team. Please note that excavation leaders are required to send a list of the participants and other details on the fieldwork to Yvonne Haring. If you are doing fieldwork individually, you should do this yourself, using the form Fieldwork details

Students are obliged to arrange their own liability and travel insurance.

Before the start of the excavation, make sure that you have had a tetanus injection. 

Health, safety & environmental legislation requires that everyone at an excavation:

  • wears a brightly coloured jacket
  • wears shoes with steel toes
  • helmets are compulsory when you are in the radius of a crane.

The following must be hung on the wall in the cabin:

  • the telephone number of a GP
  • the telephone number of the ambulance service (in the Netherlands 112)
  • the directions to a hospital.

At least one person present must have a First Aid diploma.

All incidents must be reported immediately to the Health and Safety Inspectorate (Arbodienst)! 
The central health and safety coordinator for Archaeology is Ms Petra Slabber, 071 527 2275.

When a student or member of staff drives his/her own car or rented minibus, it is advisable that the driver arranges good third party insurance in advance. Insurance covering damage to the rented minibus or car is usually bought at the same time as arranging the rental. Injury to a fellow passenger is a separate matter. For a private car, the same rules apply as when a friend is a passenger in your car. For more information about third party insurance, contact Frans van der Laan, Administration and Central Services department, Leiden University. 

There is also an international emergency number that you can call day and night: 
+31 (0)71 527 6666
Anyone planning a trip - students, student societies and excavation leaders – is strongly advised to keep up to date with the travel advice on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If you are planning to go abroad soon, you are expressly requested to regularly refer to the university brochure Risks of working abroad and the faculty’s health and safety plan.

This website uses cookies. Read