Internships, research and fieldwork
Each faculty and some study programmes have their own guidelines and procedures for internships, research and fieldwork abroad. Take a look under your faculty and programme tab for more information.
The corona measures may affect your travel plans. Read more on the Studying in times of corona website.
What is STREAM?
Via the Student Research Mobility Programme (STREAM) you can take part in research projects at other European universities who are, like Leiden, members of LERU (League of European Research Universities).
The following universities offer research projects:
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany - view research projects
- Université Paris-Saclay, France - send a mail for more information
- Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy - view research projects
- University of Zurich, Switzerland - view research projects
- University of Geneva, Switzerland - send a mail for more information
It is anticipated that more LERU universities will offer research projects in the future, for example Lund University, Sweden and Université de Genève, Switzerland.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a research project via STREAM if you meet the following conditions:
- You are a third-year bachelor or a master student at Leiden University
- Your average grade is at least 7 out of 10, or 3.2 out of 4 (GPA)
- Your English level is at least B2
- You meet any additional criteria for the research project in question
- Carefully read the information about the research project and check if there are additional criteria and whether it fits into your study schedule.
- Prepare the required documents:
- Motivation letter (max 500 words, in English)
- Curriculum vitae
- Recent list of grades
- Two reference letters
- Complete the application form.
- Send the completed application form and required documents to the international exchange coordinator at your faculty.
- You will receive a decision on your application within approximately six weeks.
If you are admitted to a STREAM project, you may be able to apply for an Erasmus+ for Traineeships grant in certain circumstances.
Contact Usha Mohunlol, Leiden University's STREAM coordinator.
Assistant Professor, Leiden University
“I had the opportunity to supervise an amazing student, extremely motivated, very skilled, professional, and trustworthy. She designed an entire study on her own and managed to program a complex virtual reality task”.
University of Milan
Research at Leiden University: “Taking part to the STREAM programme had been a great opportunity to work in a true research project inside an international research group. This experience not only made me grow up under an academic point of view, but also gave me the opportunity to discover a new country and to meet people from all over the world”.
Marnix van de Sande
Research at University of Zurich: “The STREAM programme offered me the opportunity to experience research first-hand, which really helped me in discovering my own passions and qualities. I am really grateful that I got the chance to take part in an ongoing research project as a fresh BSc graduate. The experiences in the lab have given me a solid impression of what work in a biomedical research lab is like, and this helped me a lot in the choice for a master's degree. I have a much more realistic view of what life as a PhD student is like, and I now know better what to expect if I decide to continue in research”.
Faculty and programme information
Take a look under your faculty or programme tab for further information on internship, research of fieldwork opportunities and procedures for students on your study programme. Alternatively, make an appointment with your faculty's international exchange coordinator.
Check your destination
You may not do an internship, research or fieldwork in a country for which negative travel advice has been issued. Check here if your destination is safe. This webpage is in Dutch, but by entering the country name (Dutch spelling) you can view the safety status on a map. If your destination is red or orange, you may not go there.