To arrange upon your return
If you are planning on studying abroad, the coronavirus situation can certainly be a cause for uncertainty. By following the advice and guidelines on the Health and Safety page, you can minimise any potential (financial) risks as much as possible. Still unsure whether it’s a good idea to study abroad at the moment? Read the university’s advice.
Also take a look at the study abroad and corona FAQs.
Your experiences and tips are a great source of information for other students who would like to study abroad at the same university. Just before you return, Leiden University will send you a mail asking you to submit a report about your studies abroad, using this template.
Have your credits recognised
Before departure, did you get approval for the credits you earn abroad to be counted towards your studies in Leiden? If so, you need to have your credits recognised upon your return. See your faculty or study programme tab for instructions. You can check that your credits have been recognised by looking in uSis or visiting your education administration office.
International Student Network
Would you like to be part of the international student community upon your return? If so, join the International Student Network Leiden. It’s a great way to meet students from all over the world, share experiences and keep that international feeling!
Other psychology students who are thinking of studying abroad would very much like to read about your experiences. Within one month of your return, please submit a report about your studies abroad.
- Write your report in English using this template
- Upload your report in the Study Abroad portal, in the ‘Upon return’ section.
Have your credits recognised
Before departure, did you get approval for the credits you earn abroad to be counted towards your studies in Leiden (see ‘preparations’)? If so, you need to have your credits recognised upon your return. Sometimes the host university will send a transcript directly to the university, but this is not always the case. It is your responsibility to submit an application for recognition of your credits. Without this application, the transcript will not be processed.
Application for credit recognition step-by-step
1a. If your host university issues a transcript directly to you, upload your transcript in the Study Abroad portal, in the ‘Upon return’ section.
1b. If your host university will instead send your transcript directly to Leiden University, please ask them to send it to the following e-mail address: email@example.com or via post to:
Faculty of Social Sciences
t.a.v. F. Weekenstroo / R. de Bree
PO box: 9555
2300 RB Leiden
We will upload it for you as soon as we received the transcript. You will receive an email with further instructions just before your return.
2. Fill in the application form. Copy the course titles word for word from the transcript.
3. Send the application form to your international coordinator by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Submit a petition request 'external education’ in uSis.
5. As soon as the international coordinator has received your transcript and your application form, the credits obtained will be converted. The obtained grades are not converted. Passed courses will appear as ‘Passed’ in uSis. Credits cannot be entered in uSis until you have submitted an official petition.
6. As soon as your grades have appeared on uSis, you can request the original transcript from the Student Services Centre.
Don't leave it too late
It is your responsibility to request the recognition of the credits you have earned on time. Are you graduating soon and do you want these credits to count towards your degree? Then you must arrange this as soon as you return, to be sure that the credits can be recognized on time.