Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Leiden University have a welcome or pick-up service for international students?

On certain dates before each semester, Leiden University offers a warm welcome service for newly-arriving international students. If you arrive on one of these dates, you can sign up for the welcome service at Amsterdam Schiphol airport, Leiden train station or the Hague Hollandspoor train station. You can also visit an information lounge with any questions you might have about post-arrival practicalities. You are highly advised to plan your arrival for a date during the warm welcome service.
  • For further information, and the dates of the next warm welcome service, please visit the welcome service page
  • If you have any questions about the warm welcome service, please send a mail to:  arrival@leidenuniv.nl

When and how must I send certified copies of my academic records to the university?

When you apply for admission to a degree programme using our online application system, you need only upload digital copies of your academic records. If you are admitted onto a study programme you will then receive an ‘Admission Statement’ by email. This statement will explain exactly which academic records (certified copies) must be sent to Leiden University’s Admissions Office by post and the deadlines for doing so.

- If you have a non-Dutch diploma:
Copies must be certified as genuine (i.e. bearing an original stamp and signature) by the registrar of your institution or the head of your department. They must be sent in a sealed institution envelope to Leiden University’s Admissions Office, either by you or directly by the institution. If you cannot meet these requirements please instead submit officially legalised or apostilled documents - see the information on legalising documents via the link below. Photocopies of certified/legalised copies are not acceptable, nor are copies certified by local municipal authorities.

If you are asked to submit a diploma but it will not be issued in time, please instead submit a complete certified transcript accompanied by an original statement from your institution confirming that you have graduated.

If the original documents are not issued in English, French, German or Dutch they should be translated by a sworn translator (or the institution itself) and attached to the original documents.

- If you have a Dutch diploma:
Certified copies of Dutch academic records may be sent to the Admissions Office directly by the issuing institution or by the applicant him/herself.

More information

How long does it take before a decision on my application is issued?

It generally takes about 6 weeks from the date on which you are informed that your application is complete until you receive a decision. If additional information is required during the application process it may take a little longer. Please make sure your application is complete and is submitted as early as possible to help speed up the processing time.

Once a decision on your application has been made you will receive a formal statement from the faculty by email.


More information

Can my application fee be waived?

The following students do not have to pay the € 100 application fee:

  • applicants who are following or have completed a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch university (of applied sciences) – upon submission of a copy of your Dutch bachelor’s diploma or transcript;
  • applicants who have previously been registered as students of Leiden University (any study programme);
  • applicants for Study Abroad and Exchange programmes; applicants for the BSc programmes in Life Science and Technology or Molecular Science and Technology;
  • and applicants who can prove that they have applied for or have been granted one of the following scholarships: CEU Praesidium Libertatis (only applicable to students of the Central European University), NFP (on submission of a letter of support for your NFP application from your employer), STUNED (on submission of a letter confirming your STUNED application from NESO Jakarta). The letter for the NFP or STUNED should be added to your online application.

No other students are eligible to apply for an application fee waiver.

More information

What costs do I have to pay, and when, if I request housing via the university?

To request accommodation via Leiden University Housing Office you are required to make the following payments:

  • Housing fee: to be paid before the housing application deadline.
  • Contract costs: to be paid after you accept your offer of accommodation - to cover the cost of setting up your contract.
  • Housing deposit: to be paid after you return your signed contract - refundable at the end of your stay (subject to certain conditions).
  • Monthly rent: please refer to our Accommodation page for rental rates.

Details of all charges, payment deadlines and refund conditions can be found on our Costs and payments webpage.

More information

I will soon graduate. Can I already apply now and send in my diploma later?

Yes, you are welcome to apply before having actually graduated. When applying before graduation please mention your (expected) graduation date and submit all transcripts obtained to date. You will need to  send the certified copies of your final transcripts and diploma before the start of the programme. Please do bear in mind that if you are admitted, this will be a conditional admission until we have received your diploma and final transcripts.

More information

Can I follow my study programme part-time/in the evenings?

There are a number of degree programmes which can be taken as a part-time study, with courses taught either during day-time or in the evening hours.

Please note, however, that if you need an entrance permit (MVV) or residence permit for the purpose of study, you are not allowed to study part-time. Full-time study is a requirement for obtaining an MVV or a residence permit for the purpose of study.

Check the information websites for bachelor’s and master’s students to see which programmes are offered part-time.

More information

Does Leiden University offer a (partial) tuition fee waiver?

Leiden University offers several scholarships which includes (partial) tuition fee waivers, such as, for example, the LExS scholarship. 

More information

Which documents should be sent by post?

Documents only need to be sent by post if this is requested by the Admissions Office during the application process.

The following documents may be requested by post:

  • Certified copies of your diploma & transcripts;
  • Results of the English proficiency test, to be sent by the test organisation;
  • Signed recommendation letters on official letterhead paper.
More information

How will I be notified about the decision on my application?

After Leiden University has received your complete application, it will be forwarded to the relevant faculty/department. Once the faculty/department has issued a decision, it will be indicated in the online application portal (uSis). You will receive an email notifying you once a decision has been made.

More information

This website uses cookies. Read