Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Who can I turn to?

We are on hand to offer you help and advice in a range of different ways. On this page you can find out who you can turn to depending on your situation.

Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.

Watch the video on the original website or

Help during your studies?

Your study adviser or coordinator is your first point of contact for study-related guidance and advice. You can turn to your study adviser/coordinator with both practical and personal problems. Contact your study adviser or coordinator. As a first-year student you can also speak to your mentor or tutor. In this video you can find out what your mentor or tutor can do for you:

Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.

Watch the video on the original website or

Study choice and career advice

Maybe you have questions about your study choices or future career? For example, which direction should you take within your bachelor's programme or which master's you should choose? The Career Services can offer advice. Every faculty has its own Career Service. 

Psychological support?  

Our student psychologists are on hand to help you with any psychological problems you might be experiencing, such as fear of failure, motivation issues, sombre thoughts or serious stress. Get in touch and plan an (online) appointment.

You can also turn to a psychologist outside the university. To do so, you must first be referred by your GP. Read more about registering with a GP. The following practices are experienced in assisting international students:

Sexual orientation, gender and the LGBTQIA+ community

Do you have questions or are you dealing with issues concerning your gender identity or sexual orientation? Get in touch with the LGBT+ network or send an email to queerpeer.leiden@gmail.com. You can also check out Leiden Pride, an LGBTQIA+ organisation that works closely with Leiden University.

Ethnic and cultural diversity

Would you like to talk to someone about issues related to race and ethnicity? Space to Talk about Race is an intersectional community that organises a range of activities related to this topic as well as safe(r) space meetings. The Afro Student Association (ASA) and Middle East and North Africa student association (MENA) also organise events and offer a community. Or contact the Diversity and Inclusion Expertise Office if you have questions related to diversity and inclusion as well as safety on campus, either by mailing diversiteit@leidenuniv.nl or using the contact form.

Exceptional circumstances or money issues?

Are you dealing with exceptional circumstances, for example, are you a refugee or are you combining your studies with parenthood or top-level sports? Or perhaps you are experiencing money problems? If so, you are welcome to contact the student counsellors.

International students

For practical questions about living and working in The Netherlands, for example insurances and taxes, get in touch with the student counsellors. If you need information about immigration and residency matters, speak to the Visa team


Do you have a disability and would you like information, support or special facilities? Get in touch with Fenestra Disability Centre. Read more about studying with a disability.

Feeling worried, lonely or stressed?

Sometimes it’s nice to talk to someone. There are a range of options available within the university. You can contact the Student Support Services via studentsupport@leidenuniv.nl or by calling: 071 527 8025. Or why not join one of the many workshops or training courses. Take a look on the Personal development page and find the workshop that’s right for you.

Confidential issues or worrying behaviour?  

If you have been subjected to improper behaviour, you suspect an infringement of academic integrity, or you wish to report malpractice, you can turn to one of the confidential counsellors or the ombuds officer. Are you worried that a (fellow) student might pose a danger to another student or staff member? For example, behaviour such stalking or making threats. If so, you can turn to the concerning or threatening behaviour adviser.

Meeting Point

The Meeting Point helps international, first-generation and refugee students to find their way within the university.

Have a good suggestion? Let us know.

Do you have a good suggestion concerning how to improve student well-being? Let us know by sending a mail to: studentwellbeing@sea.leidenuniv.nl.

This website uses cookies.