Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Certificate and Board of Examiners

Upon successful completion of your Honours track, you will be awarded a certificate and have your Honours College credits mentioned on your bachelor's diploma supplement.

Board of examiners

All Honours College tracks fall under the Honours Academy's board of examiners. This board decides on the awarding of certificates and handles requests for their postponement.

In addition, there is a board of examiners per faculty honours track that deals with the content of that specific track, such as the criteria to pass a specific Honours College course. If you have a question for this board, please discuss it with your coordinator first. They can tell you whether and how to submit your request. 

Conditions for certification

According to the Rules and Regulations of the Honours Academy board of examiners, you receive a certificate for the Honours College if:

  • You have completed 30 EC of honours courses, including at least one Bachelor Honours Class (5 EC)
  • You have completed both your bachelor's study and your honours track within 3 years
  • The weighted grade average for your regular bachelor is a 7.0 or higher

The certificate is physical proof that allows you to show employers that you have successfully completed your honours programme.

Exemption from the nominal study duration requirement

To receive an Honours College certificate, you must meet the nominal study duration requirement. This means that within three years you meet the requirements of both your regular programme and your honours programme. Do you fail to meet this requirement due to special circumstances? Then you can ask the Honours Academy board of examiners for exemption from the nominal study duration requirement.

You can request exemption from this requirement in the case of:

  • Personal circumstances (e.g. chronic or long-term illness, psychological issues, the loss of a family member)
  • Study-related activities that contribute to your academic development (e.g. study abroad, internships)
  • Scheduling problems due to you having to follow additional courses
  • Board activities for a study or student association
  • Top-level sport or cultural activities

How to send in a request

  • You are advised to first discuss your situation with your Honours College coordinator or coach. They can advise you on how to draw up your request.
  • When you do draw up a request, making sure to include the following information:
    • Your name, student number and email address
    • Your HC track name and commencement date
    • Your bachelor’s programme name and commencement date
    • Duration of requested postponement or extension
    • Reason(s) for your request and proposed study plan
    • Why you want to finish your honours track
    • The name of the coordinator/coach/advisor with which you discussed your study delay
  • E-mail your request as an attachment to the secretary of the board of examiners. Use your uMail address. Keep it concise and concrete: you have no more than 1 A4 page.

The Board of Examiners aims to reach a decision within three weeks. You will be notified of the decision via e-mail. If you are granted an exemption, you will still qualify for the certificate.

This website uses cookies.