Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

Study and assessments

You can find information about your courses and assessments in Brightspace or the prospectus.

Also take a look at the assessments page for general information about online exams and proctoring (online exam invigilation). 

Second semester 2020-2021
Teaching in the second semester of the academic year 20/21 will remain mostly online and partly on campus. Options will differ per study programme. Your study programme will let you know in advance how teaching and assessment will be organised. 

Visit the library website for the latest information on the library's adapted services.

If and where you can do an internship depends on the measures taken within the organisation where you want to intern. Discuss the situation with your contact person at the organisation, or if necessary, talk to your internship coordinator.

Some assessments will take place online, others will be held on-campus. If online assessments are offered, participation is mandatory. You are entitled to retakes in conformity with your study programme’s education and examination regulations (OER). You are entitled to an additional chance if you are unable to take an on-campus assessment due to corona-related symptoms or compulsory quarantine and there is no online alternative available. Your study programme will provide you with further information on this matter. 

See the assessments page for further information on online assessments and proctoring (online exam invigilation).

Our lecturers are supported in their remote teaching by Leiden University’s Centre for Innovation and Graduate Teaching School (ICLON). The university has also created a website that provides academic staff with guidance and advice on online teaching. All lecturers are required to adhere to Leiden University's Code of Conduct on Remote Teaching, that sets clear guidelines for matters such as clarity, assessment, communication, etiquette and privacy. 

Course and exam enrolement procedures remain the same. You can enrol for courses and exams via uSis or at the Education Adminstration Office, depending on your study programme. Read more under course and exam enrolment.

First contact your lecturer. Be patient and have confidence that your lecturer will resolve the problem, even if it might take a little while. If the problem is not resolved, contact your study adviser. He or she will hep you find a solution.

Yes, first-year students will be issued with binding study advice (BSA) as usual in the academic year 2020-2021. Due to the coronavirus situation, Leiden University's Executive Board has lowered the BSA norm from 45 to 40 study credits this year. In addition, study programmes are entitled to further adjust their BSA rules if they feel this is necessary. Read more

If you have any concerns about using Zoom, please contact your lecturer directly. If your lecturer Is not available, instead get in touch with your study coordinator. If you still have serious concerns, you are welcome to contact Leiden University’s data protection officer: fg@bb.leidenuniv.nl.

Study abroad

Exchange programmes

All exchange programmes have been cancelled for both the first and second semester of the academic year 2020/2021. The Executive Board has taken this decision as the uncertainty surrounding the health situation, travel advice and capacity constraints at universities in the Netherlands and abroad is likely to continue over the coming months. We realise that this is extremely disappointing.

If you had planned to study abroad in this period, we will contact you to look into alternatives. The university is currently exploring options to increase the number of electives or possibilities for a minor.

Other study-related activities (non-exchange)

Are you planning to go abroad  for another study-related activity, for example an internship, fieldwork or research project? If so, in very exceptional circumstances you can request permission to do so. 

Requesting permission

In principle, you may only request permission to go to areas classified as yellow or green in the government’s travel advice. Exceptions may be made for code orange areas if the destination in question is your home country and you're already there. You must also have agreed your plans in advance with your faculty contact person and understand that the trip is at your own risk. See full details.  

Study Abroad Festival presentations

If you haven't yet made plans but are interested in studying abroad, take a look at the presentations and films from this year's Study Abroad Festival. Here you can find out about the options available to you, learn how to apply and hear about other students' experiences. 

You can currently only request an Erasmus+ or LUSTRA+ scholarship if you have been granted permission to study abroad. More information is available on the scholarships website.

For other scholarships, please contact the scholarship provider for information. 

Reimbursement via the university

The deadline for requesting reimbursement via the university has now expired. 

That depends on procedures at your host university. Get in touch with your contact person at your host institution or ask your international exchange coordinator for advice.

As all exchange programmes have unfortunately been cancelled for the academic year 2020-2021, Leiden University will not be awarding any Holland Scholarships this year. If you would like to request a Holland Scholarship for the academic year 2021-2022, you will need to submit a new application. Go to the scholarship page to find out more.

Facilities and IT

There are a limited number of study places available in the library and certain faculty buildings. To make use of these, you have to reserve a time slot in advance. Reserve a study place.

The University Library has set up workstations so that students can access files on their P-drive. Call the library in advance to book a time slot. For more information and to book a slot see the UB website.

You are responsible for making sure you have  a suitable computer and sufficient internet access. You can also follow online classes on your mobile phone. If this doesn’t help, ask your fellow students for assistance. If you are still having problems, contact your study adviser. In exceptional cases you may be able to borrow a laptop from the university. 

You can borrow a laptop from Plexus Student Centre to do your online assessment. You can keep the laptop for a maximum of one day.

You can make an appointment to print, copy and scan at the university library

Support and guidance

Are circumstances causing you to fall behind in your studies, for example are you having problems concentrating, or are you unwell or caring for a sick family member? Contact your study adviser right away. He/she will be able to advise you and guide you in how to deal with study delay

Contact Fenestra Disability Centre, the university’s information centre for students with a disability. Fenestra staff will help you to look for a solution and, if required, refer you to other sources of assistance. 

It is understandable that you may be anxious or concerned about the situation. On the Wellbeing pages you can find tips and tools to help you deal with these feelings, as well as informtion on who you can turn to for help. 

The university offers a range of services such as student buddies and support groups, to help you in these difficult times. Find out about the support available on the Wellbeing pages

You can still contact Leiden University's guidance and advice services by email, video call or phone. Go to the study guidance and advisers section of the website and look on the page of the relevant adviser or guidance service to find out when and how you can get in touch. In some cases, the guidance or advice service may arrange a face-to-face appoinment with you if they feel this is necessary. 

If you have to spend time in quarantine, you can sign up for the Student Buddy Service. Your student buddy can provide you with (online) moral support and company, and even help you out with practical matters like grocery shopping. 

International students

That depends on whether you will continue studying from home or not: 

Will you continue studying from home?
If so, you can retain your student residence permit if: 

  • you contact the Visa Team to inform them of your situation;
  • you remain registered as a student, continue paying tuition fees (if applicable) and follow your courses online; and
  • you do not exceed the maximum period of stay outside The Netherlands as stipulated by the IND, i.e.  
    • if you returned home before 1 September 2020: you may spend max 12 months outside The Netherlands.
    • if you returned home between 1 September 2020 and 1 March 2021: you must return to The Netherlands before 1 September 2021.
    • If you returned home after 1 March 2021: you may spend max 6 months outside The Netherlands.

You can return to The Netherlands if your residence permit is still valid and you have not exceeded your maximum period of stay abroad. If your permit will expire whilst you are abroad or you exceed the maximum period of stay outside The Netherlands, please contact the Visa Team for instructions.

If you will not continue studying from home: 
You must cancel your student registration via Studielink and notify the Visa Team. Your student residence permit will then be cancelled. 
If you later want to come back to the Netherlands to pick up your studies, you must apply for a new visa/residence permit and request permission from your study programme. 
Contact the Visa Team for instructions.

  • If you plan to leave the Netherlands for less than 8 months, you do not have to cancel your registration with the municipality. However, if you are ending your housing contract you should try to change your registration at the town hall to ‘registration at a postal address only’ (in Dutch: “briefadres”) if this is possible.
  • If you plan to leave for longer than 8 months, or if you unexpectedly stay away for longer than 8 months, you must cancel your town hall registration.

Note for residence permit holders
If you have a Dutch residence permit, you must remain registered at a Dutch town hall, either at a residence or postal address, to remain entitled to your permit. If you wish to retain your residence permit, but you are unable to remain registered with the municipality or you have already cancelled your town hall registration, contact the Visa Team by email and we will look into possible solutions.

If you are leaving the Netherlands temporarily or permanently due to the corona situation, it is very important that you notify the Visa Team by email.

For the remainder of the second semester you can continue following your courses and taking assessments online. We understand that it may prove challenging to adapt to this form of education, but we encourage you to do your best to keep up with your studies. Take a look at the tips page for advice on how to successfully study online.

If, as a result of the corona measures, you are unable to obtain 50% of the required study credits for the academic year 2020-2021 or complete your premaster programme, please contact your study adviser or coordinator right away.  

Previously, AON international student policy holders were insured in their home country for a maximum period of eight weeks. However, as many students will exceed this limit having returned to their home countries early, AON has decided to extend this period.

If you have a valid AON student insurance policy you will remain insured in your home country until 1 July 2021, on the following conditions: 

  • You remain registered as a student of Leiden University.
  • You can demonstrate that you are continuing your studies online.

Please note that: 

  • During this extended period, you are insured for medical emergencies only.
  • Costs amounting to a maximum of two times Dutch basic healthcare tariffs are covered.
  • If your policy expires before 1 July 2021, you are only insured until your policy expiry date.

For further information, contact Aon student insurance.

  • If you are registered as a resident in the Netherlands (BRP registration) and are aged 18 or over, you will be invited for a COVID 19 vaccination. You will receive an invitation by post from the RIVM.
  • If you have a medical issue that is known to your Dutch GP, you may receive an earlier invitation directly from your GP.  
  • If you are doing an internship in the field of healthcare, please check with your internship provider whether you may also be eligible for earlier vaccination.  

Financial matters

Compensation from DUO

You may be entitled to compensation from DUO.
This might include, for example, compensation for the expiration of your student finance or additional costs incurred due to falling behind.

I have fallen behind due to illness or caring responsibilities

If you have fallen behind in your studies because you or a family member have (had) coronavirus, because you have been caring for a sick family member or loved one, or because you are combining studying with looking after children who have to stay home, you can request financial support via the Regulations on financial support for students (FOS) if you fulfil all criteria. Contact your study adviser as quickly as possible to discuss your situation and study plan.

Even though teaching is now mostly online, the university is ensuring that you can continue following your study programme and that the education you receive continues, as always, to meet the highest standards of quality. In line with national policy, you are still required to pay tuition fee.

For advice and support, get in touch with the student counsellors

Health and hygiene

On the university website you can find information about precautionary measures in the time of corona. Also take a look in the health and hygiene section of the corona FAQ
For tips and advice on staying physically and mentally healthy in these exceptional circumstances, visit the Healthy University@home website

This website uses cookies.