CSC Joint PhD programme on Artifical Intelligence and Bioscience between Leiden University and Xi’an Jiatong University
Leiden University (LU) and Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) have set up a joint doctoral programme dedicated to the cross-disciplinary research in the fields of Artificial Intelligence and Bioscience. In this context, the Chinese Scholarship Council will fund 30 talented PhD students in 3 years from Xi’an Jiatong University.
- Call opens in March 2020
- Target group
- Countries/ nationalities
- Chinese nationals
- Scholarship type
- Medicine/LUMC, Science
PhD candidates will spend 2 years in Leiden and 2 years in Xi’an. LU waives any bench fee and CSC provides a scholarship for the candidates to cover their living costs. Candidates need to consult both supervisors to determine which two years of their PhD programme they will spend in Leiden.
- Candidates must be full-time doctoral students at XJTU;
- Candidates must be in their 3rd or 4th year of the XJTU PhD track, except for direct PhD (直博) who should be in their 4th or 5th year when they are supposed to start in Leiden. This requirement can be exempted if the supervisors from both sides already have a solid collaboration and they both agree on a co-supervision and PhD defense plan;
- Candidates must have a level of English language proficiency demonstrated by at least one of the following language requirements:
- IELTS: minimum 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 for each of the components Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- TOEFL: internet based 90, with a minimum of 20 for each of the components Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE), minimum 180, with a minimum component score of 169
- A proof that within the last 10 years the candidate studied in an English speaking institution for at least 8-12 months, or worked more than 1 consecutive year in an English speaking country
- An English proficiency proof letter from the Leiden supervisor obtained after an interview.
- LU provides XJTU with keywords on research topics and a list of participating institutes;
- Candidates apply to XJTU by sending their CV, the LU institute and the research topic for which they would like to work in Leiden ;
- Candidates are interviewed by the supervisor in XJTU and the perspective supervisor in Leiden. If both supervisors together decide to work on a common research topic with the candidate, then the Leiden supervisor request an evaluation by the LU Graduate school before 25 April;
- LU and XJTU draw the final list of selected candidates before 15 May;
- Selected candidates submit the online application to CSC, and are provisionally enrolled in the graduate school of the host university before 25th May (strict, and according to Beijing time );
- CSC announces who receive the funding in June.
The next call opens in March 2020
Prof.Dr. Marcello Bonsangue, firstname.lastname@example.org
Programme and funding information
Ms. Yun Tian, email@example.com