Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Finding and arranging

An internship or research project abroad is not only a fun and educational experience, it's also a great asset to your CV. As job markets are becoming increasingly international, employers tend to view international experience as a big advantage. Read more about how to arrange an internship or project abroad.

Register in the Study Abroad portal

All students who are going abroad as part of, or in relation to their Leiden University studies, must register in the study abroad portal. By doing so, you enable the university to contact you in case of an emergency abroad. Register in the study abroad portal as soon as you have approval for your activity from your study programme.

Corona measures

If you are planning on studying abroad, the coronavirus situation can certainly be a cause for uncertainty. By following the advice and guidelines on the Health and Safety page, you can minimise any potential (financial) risks as much as possible. Still unsure whether it’s a good idea to study abroad at the moment? Read the university’s advice.

Also take a look at the study abroad and corona FAQs.

Take a look under your faculty or study programme tab for information about the options available for international internships or research projects and how to arrange approval and registration.

You can also find information on international activities that you can do as part of or alongside your studies on the study abroad website.

How to arrange

During the summer, various lecturers from the Faculty of Archaeology offer a field school abroad, e.g. in the Near East, the Caribbean or the Mediterranean. Obviously, doing practical work abroad generally requires good preparation, not just in technical and linguistic terms, but also mentally and medically (vaccinations, etc). You will find an overview of internships on Brightspace, alongside contact details of the respective Internship Coordinators.

It is important to consider whether you are suited to a particular internship. Many internships are organised in remote areas and in extreme (hot or cold) climates. An internship of this kind is certainly no holiday, even if the location seems interesting. An internship abroad is also inadvisable if you have a physical impairment or psychological problems.

Request approval

You will need to apply for a particular field project at the Internship Coordinator in question.

Remember that you must register in time for an internship abroad, as visas and permit applications need to be made a long time in advance.

Register in study abroad portal

Once you have obtained the necessary approval from the Internship Coordinator for your internship or research abroad, you must register in the study abroad portal.


By registering in the Study Abroad portal, you enable Leiden University to make sure you have selected a safe destination and to contact you in case of an emergency abroad. If you will receive study credits, university funding or recognition on your transcript for your activity abroad, registration in the study abroad portal is obligatory.  


Register in the Study Abroad portal as soon as you have gained permission from your study programme for your activity abroad - and at least 2 weeks before departure. If you will go abroad within 2 weeks, get in touch with your faculty contact person for instructions. 


  • Log into uSis > click on the Study Abroad tile > select ‘Register another type of study-related activity abroad’.
  • Enter the requested data, upload any required documents then click on submit.  
  • If you have the necessary approval and your destination is safe, the university will approve your registration. You may then depart for your activity abroad. Remember to check the travel advice before departure in case the safety situation changes.
  • As soon as possible, enter your contact details abroad in the Study Abroad portal - in the ‘During your stay’ section. Remember to keep your contact details updated whilst abroad so we can reach you in case of emergencies!

Required uploads and supervisor information for portal registration

When registering your internship or research abroad in the Study Abroad Portal, you may need to include: 

  • Faculty documents: statement from your Internship Coordinator
  • Supervisor internal: Faculty contact e.g. your Leiden University internship coordinator
  • Supervisor external (if applicable): your internship supervisor at your host institution

Let the faculty know where you’re going

The faculty is required to have a list of all field work and internships taking place both in the Netherlands and abroad, and the travel details of all students going on an internship or doing field work. 
Prior to each journey, whether continental or intercontinental, study trip, fieldwork or internship, the following details must be send to the Faculty by filling out this Internship and Fieldwork details form

This also applies to student societies going on a study trip! 

  • Personal details of participants : first names and surnames, passport numbers, date of birth, and contact details of parents/guardians or anyone else who should be informed in the case of emergency.

  • Travel schedule: the route to the destination, when other destinations will be visited during the trip, the date and time of the return journey.

  • Accommodation: in which hostels / hotels / excavation houses will the participants be staying; what is the address and telephone number of this accommodation.

  • Correspondence and visiting addresses, telephone and e-mail address excavation (is there an excavation house?)

  • All details of the excavation leaders, project leader, contact person particularly the mobile phone numbers

  • Period and duration of the excavation /fieldwork/ internship  / journey

  • Type (fieldwork/survey)

  • Brief description of the project

  • Number of (internship) places 

Excavation leaders are required to make sure that students have good travel and health insurance. 

This website uses cookies.