Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take before a decision on my application is issued?

It generally takes about 4 to 6 weeks from the date on which you are informed that your application is complete until you receive a decision. If additional information is required during the application process it may take a little longer. Please make sure your application is complete and is submitted as early as possible.

Once a decision on your application has been made, you will receive a formal statement from the faculty by email.


More information

What is the selection procedure for programmes with limited places (numerus fixus)?

Because of their popularity, some bachelor’s programmes are oversubscribed. For these programmes, a limit has been set for the number of students that can be allocated a place. This is known as a 'numerus fixus'. This means that even if you are admitted to the programme, you are not guaranteed a place. You must also be allocated a place on the programme via a selection procedure.

Take careful note of the application deadlines for numerus fixus programmes as these are generally earlier than those for other types of study programme. 

For further explanation see Admission requirements - Programmes with limited places.

More information

How do I request a Statement of registration (enrolment)?

As soon as your student registration has been finalised, you will receive a confirmation from us by e-mail. You can then download your Statement of registration via uSis by following the steps below:
  1. Log into uSis using your student number. 
  2. Click on the 'Communication' tile.
  3. If you do not see the message you are looking for, click on the little x in top-right corner of your screen.
  4. Click on ‘Your registration is final’ to download your Statement of registration.
If you need a statement of registration with an official stamp, please contact the Student Affairs Front Office at (+31) 071 527 8011 or info@leidenuniv.nl, or visit our office in Leiden or The Hague. Do not forget to mention your student number and the institution that requires the document.

More information

When and how must I submit digital or certified copies of my academic records to the university?

When applying 
When you apply for admission to a degree programme, you only need to upload digital copies of your academic records in the online application portal (uSis). Certified copies are not yet required.

Upon admission
Upon admission you will be notified of the following via uSis:  

  • When you must submit digital or certified copies
  • Which items are required
  • The method of submission you must use
Download and read your official decision statement. Note carefully which documents are required (e.g. diploma, transcript, translations, verification codes) and the submission deadline. Then complete both the following steps:
  1. Upload digital copies of all items/information stated in your conditions using the ‘Upload your documents’ button on the decision screen.
  2. Check if there are additional submission instructions for the document(s) stated in your conditions. If you must send certified copies by post, carefully check the criteria for the documents, who must issue them and how they must be sent.

If you are still unsure when and how to submit certified copies, send a mail to the bachelor admission team: bacheloradmission@sea.leidenuniv.nl, or master admission team: masteradmission@sea.leidenuniv.nl.

Also see the following FAQs

What counts as proof of sufficient funds for my visa/residence permit request?

When we apply for your visa and/or residence permit, we will ask you to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds for both your living expenses and tuition fee by uploading the following in the visa/residence permit portal (uSis):   

Sufficient funds for living expenses

  • Transfer sufficient funds for living expenses to Leiden University then upload proof of the transfer, OR
  • A bank statement in your name showing sufficient funds, OR
  • A scholarship letter.

Sufficient funds for tuition fee

  • If you will pay your own tuition fee: a bank statement in your name showing sufficient funds.
  • If a scholarship provider will pay your tuition fee: a scholarship letter.
  • If a third party will pay your tuition fee:

Strict criteria for bank statements and scholarship letter
The Dutch immigration department sets very strict criteria for bank statements and scholarship letter. If your statement or letter does not meet all criteria, we will ask you to submit a new one or transfer the funds instead. This will significantly delay your request

For full details of financial requirements for visa/residence permit applications, read the Visa and residence permit instructions manual

Who should I contact with questions about ICT facilities, e.g. ULCN, Brightspace, uMail?

Many solutions for ICT problems can be found on our website and in our manuals. Often you can solve a problem easily yourself by checking the information available online.

ICT Helpdesks

  • The major computer halls and various faculties have their own ICT helpdesks, which are open during office hours. These can be found on the ICT Support webpage.
  •  You can also contact the Helpdesk ISSC (ICT Shared Service Centre), either via email or phone: helpdesk@issc.leidenuniv.nl / +31 (0)71 527 8888.

More information

Where can I find vacancies for part-time jobs at the University?

Part-time jobs at the University are usually organised through Jobmotion, the internal temporary employment agency of Leiden University (website in Dutch). You can apply for the student pool via their website if you speak, write and read Dutch fluently.
​You can also find information about part-time jobs on the LU Career Zone.

I am an international student and have requested housing via uSis. When will I hear more?

Two weeks after the housing application deadline, you will receive an email letting you know whether:

  • you applied in time and will soon be given access to the housing reservation portal, OR
  • too many students applied before you, so you can choose to request a refund of the housing fee, or be put on a waiting list in case any other students withdraw.
Please patiently await this email as we are unable to provide details before this date.  

For students who applied in time, Leiden University will soon after begin sending emails with log-in details for the housing reservation portal. Here you can log-in and reserve one of the accommodations t set aside for international students.


More information

After admission, what should I do if I am unable to submit certified copies via the specified method?

On your admission statement, you can find instructions on how to submit certified copies of your academic records. Are you unable to submit certified copies in the manner stated? Take a look at the alternative options below. 

If your diploma can be verified online but we have not offered you this option
  • On the decision screen, upload a copy of your diploma AND a document explaining the online verification method.
  • The Admissions Office will assess whether online verification is possible or if hardcopies are still required.
If your school/university cannot submit documents via the specified method
  • Ask your school/university to send your academic records as pdf attachment by email to bacheloradmission@sea.leidenuniv.nl or masteradmission@sea.leidenuniv.nl.
  • The email must be sent by an authorised staff member from an official university email address, clearly stating the name and position of the staff member.
  • Upon receipt, the Admissions Office will decide if the documents meet the verification requirements or whether further items are required.
If you cannot request documents via your school/university
Are you unable to request documents via your school/university, for example because you graduated too long ago?
  • Instead, have your documents legalised or affixed with an Apostille stamp in the country where the qualification was obtained. Consult this Dutch Government website for further information.
  • The legalisation or Apostille stamp must be original – not a copy. We also cannot accept documents legalised by other authorities, such as notaries, translators or municipal offices.
  • Send the original legalised/apostilled documents to the Admissions Office by post. See postal address.
  • Also upload a copy of these items on the decision screen.
If you have a Dutch diploma but it is not in the DUO diploma register (Mijn Diploma’s)
  • Ask your Dutch school/university to send certified copies bearing an official stamp and signature in a sealed institution envelope to the Admissions Office by post. See postal address.
  • Also upload a copy of these items on the decision screen.

Can I change the start date of my studies or defer my admission?

If you have applied but not yet been admitted
Yes, you can change your requested start date as follows:

  1. Cancel your application in Studielink
  2. Reapply for your preferred start date in Studielink.
  3. You will then be instructed to create and submit a new application in Leiden University’s online application portal (uSis). 
If you have already been admitted
If you wish to defer the start of your studies, you must submit a new application for your preferred start date. Be aware that admission requirements can change. If this occurs, you are unfortunately not guaranteed admission for your new start date. The re-application procedure is not the same as the initial application procedure. Please follow the instructions below: 
  1. Log into uSis, download your admission decision and save it on your computer.
  2. Cancel your current application for enrolment in Studielink.
  3. After the 1 October: Go to Studielink and apply for your new start date. 
  4. Log into uSis and follow the steps required to submit a new application. 
  5. When you get to the step ‘Admission’, click on Uploads > Other documents > Previous decision and upload your admission decision.
  6. Submit your application​
In general, you do not have to pay the application fee again. See the exceptions here below: 

  • If you wish to change your choice of study programme or specialisation, you must submit a complete new application and pay the application fee again.
  • If you have been admitted to an LLM Advanced Studies programme, you may only request re-admission once free of charge. If you re-apply a second or subsequent time, you must pay the application fee again and submit all your application documents once again, including an updated CV and copies of any recently obtained diplomas.
More information
This website uses cookies.