What and why?
Characteristics of exchange programmes
- You will apply via Leiden University and must meet certain eligibility criteria.
- There are limited spaces available, so you are not guaranteed a place on an exchange programme. Leiden University selects students on the basis of their grades and motivation.
- You will remain registered as a student of Leiden University and won’t need to pay additional tuition fees to your host university.
- If you get advance permission from your Board of Examiners, the credits you earn can be counted towards your study programme at Leiden University.
Two types of exchange
There are two types of exchange programme:
- Via a faculty or study programme
Characteristics of university-wide exchange
- As a rule, for students of all disciplines. Conditions may apply.
- Also open to master students, though restrictions generally apply at both Leiden University and partner universities.
- At your host university, you can generally follow courses offered by any programme or faculty.
- All destinations are outside Europe.
- The programme is organised by the international exchange coordinator for university-wide exchange, whom you can contact with any questions.
Characteristics of exchange via a faculty or study programme
- Only for students from specific study programmes or faculties.
- You may only follow courses offered by specific study programmes or faculties at your host university.
- Destinations are both within Europe (Erasmus+) and outside Europe.
- The programme is organised by the international exchange coordinator at your faculty or programme, whom you can contact with any questions.