Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

As a result of the corona virus situation, the information in these FAQs may be incorrect or incomplete. Go to the corona FAQ for the latest information.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not able to log in with my student account. What should I do?

There are several reasons why you may not be able to log in:

  • You haven’t yet received a user name and/or password. Request an account.
  • You have forgotten your user name and/or password. Request them again.
  • Your account has not yet been activated. Activate your account.
  • Your password has expired. Reset your password.
  • Your ULCN account is no longer active. You can only access uSis and Brightspace using your ULCN account up to 60 days after your student registration has been cancelled.

If you know your user name and password, keep the following points in mind:

  • You must log in with your user name, not your uMail address.
  • Use lower case letters to enter your user name, not capital letters (e.g. s1234567).
  • Make sure you haven’t accidentally put CAPS LOCK on.

If you still can’t log in, do the following:

  • Change the language on the log-in page, from Dutch to English or vice versa, and try again.
  • If you can log into one application but not another, the issue concerns the application and not your account. Contact the ISSC Helpdesk.
  • If none of the above-mentioned tips work contact the ISSC helpdesk.

More information

How do I request a Statement of registration (enrolment)?

As soon as your student registration has been finalised, you will receive a confirmation from us by e-mail. You can then download your Statement of registration via uSis by following the steps below:
  1. Log into uSis using your student number. 
  2. Click on the 'Communication' tile.
  3. If you do not see the message you are looking for, click on the little x in top-right corner of your screen.
  4. Click on ‘Your registration is final’ to download your Statement of registration.
If you need a statement of registration with an official stamp, please contact the Student Affairs Front Office at (+31) 071 527 8011 or info@leidenuniv.nl. Do not forget to mention your student number and the institution that requires the document. Please note that our offices are closed right now, which means that arranging a physical document may take longer than usual.

More information

The tuition fees (or the tuition fee instalment) have not been withdrawn from my account. What should I do?

If we have been unable to debit your tuition fee (instalment) from your bank account, we will send you an email within two weeks via your uMail account. This mail will request that you transfer the payment to us yourself. If you know the amount you need to pay, you need not await this email. You can transfer the payment right away. Make sure to state your student number in the bank transfer. Also, check with your bank whether there are any problems that could prevent future debit attempts.  If necessary you can contact our financial department via: fa@sea.leidenuniv.nl.

Be aware that your student registration may be cancelled if you do not pay your tuition fee on time. Late tuition fee payments can also have consequences on future student registration or graduation requests.

More information

My LU card has been lost or stolen. What should I do?

Report the loss or theft at a LU card helpdesk. Your card will then be blocked and you can request a new card for a fee of 15 euros.

If you are able to show a police report (proces-verbaal) your new card will be free of charge.

More information

How can I pay tuition fees?

There are a number of ways to pay tuition fees if you want to register as a student:

  1. Digital direct debit authorisation (via Studielink). This is only possible if you have a bank account in a SEPA country.
  2. Transfer of tuition fees in one lump sum before the start of the academic year.
  3. Payment of tuition fees in one lump sum by debit card (PIN) at the Student Affairs Front Office (not payment by credit card), before the start of the academic year.
  4. Payment via invoice.
  5. Submitting a ‘Proof of Tuition Fee Payment’ (or BBC in Dutch)

The methods available to you are determined by your situation and your study programme. More information can be found on our webpage about 'methods of payment' via the link below.

More information

My previous education was in English. Do I still have to take a language test?

For admission to all our English-taught degree programmes and the majority of our Dutch-taught degree programmes, proof of English language proficiency is required. Only students in the following categories do not need to submit proof of proficiency in English:

  • Students who have completed their education in Canada (except French-taught programmes), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
  • Students who have obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate diploma.
  • In some cases, subject to the discretion of the programme admission board: Students with a Dutch pre-university diploma (VWO), or a Dutch university English-taught bachelor's diploma. 
More information

What are the Regulations on Financial Support for Students, also known as the graduation fund, and how do I qualify for support?

Via the  Regulations on Financial Support for Students (FOS), Leiden University offers financial support to students who have fallen behind in their studies due to certain circumstances. To be eligible you must meet a number of criteria and have reported your study delay to your study adviser. 

What documents do I have to submit with my application?

All required documents are mentioned in the online application system (uSis). You can also find a list of required documents on the webpage of each study programme.

For general information on required documents, please see the links below:

More information

I am too late to enrol (register) for a study activity in uSis. What should I do?

You should contact your faculty or study programme's Education Administration Office.

More information

Should a letter of recommendation be addressed to anyone in particular?

No, your letter of recommendation can simply be addressed to the Board of Admission of the programme you wish to follow, or to the Admissions Office.


More information
This website uses cookies.