Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How much rent will I pay for housing in Leiden and The Hague?

The rental prices for accommodation can vary greatly, depending on the location, type of accommodation and facilities.

  • For information on the rental prices for accommodation offered by Leiden University Housing Office, please refer to our 'Accommodation' webpage.
  • For an indication of the amount of rent you will pay in the private sector, please refer to our 'Finding housing yourself' webpage.
  • Information on PhD/Postdoc housing can be found on the webpages of the Service Centre for International Staff.


More information

What costs do I have to pay, and when, if I request housing via the university?

To request accommodation via Leiden University Housing Office you are required to make the following payments:

  • Housing fee: to be paid before the housing application deadline.
  • Contract costs: to be paid after you accept your offer of accommodation - to cover the cost of setting up your contract.
  • Housing deposit: to be paid after you return your signed contract - refundable at the end of your stay (subject to certain conditions).
  • Monthly rent: please refer to our Accommodation page for rental rates.

Details of all charges, payment deadlines and refund conditions can be found on our Costs and payments webpage.

More information

Where can I find vacancies for part-time jobs at the University?

Part-time jobs at the University are usually organised through Jobmotion, the internal temporary employment agency of Leiden University. You can apply for the student pool via the website.

More information

Is there a template for my motivation letter?

No, there is no official template. Your motivation letter is a personal statement in which you explain why you wish to study at Leiden University and why you have chosen this particular study programme.  It is an opportunity for you to convince the faculty of your qualities and goals. The letter should contain about 700-1500 words.

Note: if you are applying for a programme at Leiden University College (LUC) you should follow the guidelines issued by LUC on the writing of motivation letters.


More information

How and when should I arrange my student housing?

We advise you to begin arranging housing as soon as you start your application to the university. There is limited availability of accommodation, both via the university and in the private sector.

The deadline for applying for accommodation via the university’s Housing Office is 1 June for programmes starting in September and 15 November for programmes starting in February. If you submit your housing application or fee after this date, we will unfortunately not be able to allocate you a room.


More information

How do I find a room in Leiden or The Hague?

There are several different ways of looking for a room.

  • You can try finding housing yourself. For advice and tips please visit our 'Finding housing yourself' webpage.
  • If you are an international (Non-Dutch) bachelor's, master's, study abroad or exchange student, you can ask Leiden University Housing Office to arrange accommodation for you.
  • If you are a PhD student, guest researcher, or guest lecturer, our Service Centre for International Staff can assist you to find housing in Leiden or The Hague.
More information

Does Leiden University offer a (partial) tuition fee waiver?

Leiden University offers several scholarships which includes (partial) tuition fee waivers, such as, for example, the LExS scholarship. 

More information

Can I apply online for more than one programme?

You can apply for up to three programmes per academic year in your online application account.

In general you can use the same application documents for all programmes, except for your Motivation Letter. Please make sure that you write different Motivation Letters concerning the different programmes you want to apply for.

Application fee
Your application fee covers up to three applications per academic year.

More than three applications?
If you wish to apply for more than three programmes please contact the Student Affairs Front Office for assistance. Please note that you will be required to pay another application fee(s).  

More information

Can I take my English proficiency test upon arrival in the Netherlands?

If you require a student visa/residence permit, no, you cannot. You are required to submit a sufficient English proficiency test result before the Admissions Office may apply for your student visa/residence permit.

If you do not require a student visa/residence permit you must submit your sufficient English test result before the start date of your study programme at the very latest.

Leiden University accepts 3 kinds of English proficiency tests. Please visit their websites for the nearest test centres and dates:

More information

Will I be allocated housing via the university in Leiden or The Hague?

On your housing application form you can indicate whether you wish to be housed in Leiden or The Hague. We will do our best to offer you accommodation in your preferred city, but unfortunately cannot offer any guarantees. If there are insufficient rooms available in your chosen city, you may be offered a room elsewhere.

Accommodation is allocated on a ‘first come, first served basis’, according to the date on which your housing fee is received. Therefore the earlier you apply, the greater the chance you will be housed in your preferred location.

Please be assured that it takes only 15 minutes by train to commute between Leiden and The Hague. Therefore you will never be far away from your faculty.

More information

This website uses cookies. Read