As well as the university’s financial support for students, entrepreneurial scholarships and diverse international scholarships, there are also a number of other scholarship programmes available to students of Leiden University.
Students who are not eligible for other sources of funding may request financial support from trustee funds ('curatorenfondsen' in Dutch).
Trustee funds can be utilised to contribute towards the academic expenses of students who are unable to obtain funding elsewhere. They can also be used to provide one-off travel subsidies for students going abroad for study-related activities. The student’s financial situation is always taken into account in decisions concerning the awarding of trustee funds.
You can request more information about the awarding of trustee funds from a student counsellor.
Excellent non-EU/EEA students can apply for the Leiden University LExS scholarships (read more).
LExS scholarships provide a (partial) waiver of the tuition fee. If additional support is required, a separate application to a LION scholarship (see below) has to be made.
EU/EEA students For excellent (non-Dutch) EU/EEA-students, LION provides scholarships which in part are made available by the Den Adel Fund and the Gorter Fund. The scholarships are for one year, with renewal for a second year conditional on successful completion of the first year.
There are two types of scholarship, meant to assist in the cost of living:
- LION-1: 4 grants of € 12.000
- LION-2: 4 grants of € 7.500
- Apply for admission to the MSc program in Physics through the online application system. Note that only applications that are complete before the deadline are guaranteed full consideration. For the LION scholarships, the deadline for the academic year 2019-20 is Februari 1, 2019.
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com to indicate that you apply for a LION scholarship.
- The motivation letter for admission should explicitly mention why the candidate satisfies the two conditions of a) outstanding academic merit and b) need for financial support.
Further questions with respect to these scholarships can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
International students should also check the Leiden University website on scholarships.