Leiden University offers a range of ICT services for students. For the majority of these you need to log-in using your university account to gain access, for example student workstations, Wi-Fi networks, uMail, Blackboard, uSis and SURFspot.
Leiden University app
The essential app for all Leiden University students. Here you can find all your study information in one place. Log in once and access your timetable, grades, PC availability and the latest news, anytime and anywhere. (Please note: exceptions apply for students of the faculties of Archaeology and Science. Take a look under your faculty tab for further information.)
Let us know what you think
Have you spotted something that needs improvement? Or do you have other suggestions? Help us to optimise the app by letting us know. You can use the feedback button in the app, or send a mail to email@example.com.
There are student workstations located within many university buildings, at which you can log-in using your account. Check the current availability of workstations online.
Your ULCN account (student or staff) gives you access to two Wi-Fi networks: Leiden University and eduroam.
- The Leiden University Wireless Access network (LUWA) is meant for temporary access to wireless internet.
- The eduroam network does not require logging in every five days. Moreover, the eduroam Wi-Fi is safer because all data is encrypted and eduroam gives you Wi-Fi-access in almost all universities and universities of applied sciences in the Netherlands, Europe and further afield.
If you use your own laptop to log into the wi-fi network, make sure to keep your anti-virus software up to date and download the latest (security) updates for your operating system. You can download fee anti-virus software, for example MS Security Essentials and Avira Anti Virus. Or why not purchase affordable anti-virus software via SURFspot?
As a Leiden University student, you will receive a uMail address. You can log-in and access your mailbox using your account.
All correspondence from the university is sent via uMail, but you can set up your account so that emails are forwarded to another email address. If you decide to do this you can still use your uMail to send emails. There are a number of conditions in place for the forwarding of your uMail:
- You are responsible for correctly setting up the forwarding of your uMail.
- Leiden University maintains the right to cancel a mail-forward if this leads to problems in the university email system.
- Leiden University is responsible for forwarding emails, but is not responsible for the receipt of emails by the email address provided.
- Check your storage space used if you keep a local copy, as mails will no longer be forwarded when there's no storage space left.
You can read more about how webmail works and how to send, receive and forward mails to your computer by logging into your uMail and clicking on the '?' (help) button at the top of your page. For further information you can also refer to the uMail manual and our FAQs.
Blackboard is Leiden University’s online learning environment. It allows you to communicate with lecturers and fellow students, access online reading materials and upload assignments. Please note that you must always register for your courses in uSis in addition to ‘enrolling’ on a course in Blackboard.
Once you have a student account it takes approximately 24 hours before you can log into Blackboard.
You can download the 'Blackboard' app onto your mobile phone or tablet via the app store. After opening the app, enter ‘Leiden University’ into the school search field then log in using your ULCN account. Note that the app doesn't offer all the functions that can be found in the desktop version.
All the details of your studies are recorded in uSis. From your first registration as a student of Leiden University up until your graduation. If you have questions about uSis please consult the FAQ or send an email to our uSis web editors.
Via uSis Mobile you can access the most important information in uSis using your telephone or tablet. You can log into this mobile website via m.usis.leidenuniv.nl using your university account.
With uSis mobile you can access:
- Basic information about your study programme, your average grade and the progress of your studies
- All study results, including underlying tests and seminars
- Registration options for courses
- Your schedule information (insofar as this information is available in uSis)
- The status of petition requests
You do still need to log-in via a desktop or laptop for certain things, for example submitting a petition or checking specific details of your academic progress. We are continually working to expand the scope of uSis Mobile.
Petitions in uSis
If you want to request a change to your academic requirements you can submit a petition via uSis. For example if you want to be exempted from certain academic requirements, have study credits earned abroad recognised as part of your Leiden studies, or receive a different amount of credits for part of your curriculum. For more information see Exemptions and Petitions.
Students of all Dutch universities can purchase affordable software, such as Adobe, MS Office, anti-virus software and SPSS, via SURFspot. You can also purchase hardware, subscriptions for magazines and newspapers, and internet services. To do so log into Surfspot, select Leiden University, then enter your student account log-in details.