Are you looking for a quiet place to study, with or without a computer? Or do you need a place to work together with fellow students?
- You can find individual study spaces in faculty buildings, the library, and Plexus and Beehive student centres.
- You can reserve group study spaces in faculty buildings.
There are three types of individual study space:
- Study spaces that you must always reserve. These generally have a computer and can be recognised by the dark blue sticker.
- Study spaces that you only need to reserve during exam periods. You can recognise these from the light blue sticker.
- Study spaces that you never need to reserve, even during exam periods. You can recognise these from the white sticker.
Exam periods are three-week periods during which demand for study spaces is highest. During exam periods you must always reserve light blue study spaces.
When are exam periods?
- Week 41-43: 10 October 2022 till 30 October 2022
- Week 49-2: 5 December 2022 till 15 January 2023
- Week 11-13: 13 March 2023 till 2 April 2023
- Week 20-22: 15 May 2023 till 4 June 2023
Exam periods are determined by the demand for study spaces within the whole university. However, some study programmes may hold exams in other periods.
Reservation and check-in
Reserving an individual study space
- You can reserve a study space two days in advance.
- Go to the SharedDesk environment and log in with your ULCN details. Use Chrome, Safari or Firefox.
- You will see an overview of study locations, listed in order of available spaces. Select a location, date and time.
- Click on a green study space and confirm your reservation.
- You can check the details of your reservation by clicking on the 'My reservations' tab in SharedDesk.
- You can find the number of each study space on the desk itself.
You must first check in before you can use your reserved study space.
- At the University Library and Law Library you can check in by scanning your LU card.
- At all other locations you must scan a QR code on the check-in poles. You can find the check-in poles by looking for the ‘SharedDesk for Students Check-in’ banners.
- You can check in max. 15 minutes before your reserved time slot.
- Make sure you stay checked in for at least the first 30 minutes of your time slot, otherwise your reservation will be cancelled.
- If you temporarily check out during your time slot, you must check back in within 45 minutes otherwise your reservation will be cancelled.
Check in on time or your reservation will be cancelled
If you have not checked in up to 30 minutes after your reserved start time, your reservation will be cancelled so that someone else can make use of the space.
In every faculty building you can reserve group study spaces in free classrooms. Here you can work, meet and study with groups of four or more students.
Reserving group study spaces
- Go to the Mapiq environment and log in with your ULCN account.
- Select a location.
- Select ‘Find a classroom’ in the right-hand menu, or navigate to the classroom you want on the map.
- Select a date and time then confirm your reservation.
- You may only reserve on the day itself.
- Group study spaces are available between 09.00 and 17.00.
- Group study spaces are intended for groups of four or more students. One student must reserve on behalf of the whole group.
- One reservation is for a maximum duration of 120 minutes.
- If lessons will be given in the classroom right after you finish, the lecturer may ask you to leave the room 15 minutes before the lesson commences.
- You do not need to check in (unlike individual study spaces).
- If you move tables and chairs, please put them back again.
Before leaving home, always do the corona check to make sure you are allowed to come to the university.