Universiteit Leiden

nl en


During your studies you will probably stay in rented accommodation. But how can you find suitable accommodation? And what should you do if you have housing problems or issues with your landlord? Find out where you can turn for advice. And learn about the assistance available in DUWO international student housing.

Finding a room

Newly-arriving international students

Every semester, Leiden University reserves a number of rooms via DUWO for newly-arriving international students. Places are limited and unfortunately demand always exceeds supply. Find out more on the Housing via Leiden University pages.

Other students

Whether you are looking for your first room or want to move to a new place, our Finding housing yourself page is a good place to start. Here you can find up-to-date information on rental rates and housing organisations, as well as a handy Dutch terminology guide.

Look out for rental scams!

Unfortunately, students are sometimes targeted by scammers offering non-existent accommodation. Make sure you don’t fall victim by reading our information on How to avoid a rental scam.

Problems and disputes

If you have a problem, you should generally first try to resolve it directly with your housing provider. If that doesn’t work, there are a number of organisations you can turn to for help.

  • If you have a problem or complaint concerning your contract or payments, contact DUWO.
  • If something is broken in your accommodation, you can instead submit a Request for repair form

You can also contact BRES, the tenants association for DUWO tenants, for help and advice:

Pelikaanhof 136 
2312 EH Leiden
071 – 407 7630 
huurdersverenigingbres.nl (in Dutch)
BRES Leiden on Facebook
Leiden tenants: info@huurdersverenigingbres.nl
The Hague tenants: infohodenhaag@gmail.com

Student Legal Aid Centre Leiden (Studenten Rechtsbureau Leiden)

The Student Legal Aid Centre Leiden is an organisation of law students who offer free legal advice.

Plexus Student Centre 
Kaiserstraat 25 
2311 GN  Leiden 
071 – 527 112 

Leiden Legal Aid Centre (de Leidse Rechtswinkel)

Staff of the Leiden Legal Aid Centre can help with any legal problems or questions you might have, including rental issues.

Langegracht 61
2312 NW Leiden
071 – 514 1516


Huurteam Leiden

Huurteam Leiden offers advice and helps tenants in Leiden to find a solution for problems with their accommodation, rent or landlord.

Heemraadssingel 319
3023 BG Rotterdam
085 – 273 49 33


The Hague Legal Aid Foundation (de Haagse Wetswinkel)

The Hague Legal Aid Foundation offers free legal advice to people with a limited budget. It holds open consultation sessions at various locations in The Hague.

De Haagse Wetswinkel
Spui 68
2511 BT The Hague
070 – 363 0665


Housing Hotline

International students who are experiencing housing-related difficulties are welcome to contact the Housing Hotline. Via an online form, you can request help and advice on a range of issues, including finding accommodation and problems with your landlord. The Housing Hotline is an initiative of the Dutch Student Union (LSVb) and Erasmus Student Network (ESN).

LSVb Rent Check

The Dutch Student Union (LSVb) also has an online tool through which you can check the amount of rent you should be paying for your accommodation. See the LSVb Rent Check.

Rent Tribunal (Huurcommissie)

The Rent Tribunal is a governmental organisation to which both tenants and landlords can turn in cases of disputes about rental accommodation. 

Postbus 16495 
2500 BL The Hague 
0800 – 488 72 43 

huurcommissie.nl (in Dutch)
Rent Tribunal information in English via 

Legal Expenses Insurance Information Centre (Rechtsbijstandverzekering Informatie Centrum)

The Legal Expenses Insurance Information Centre is an independent platform that provides information about legal expenses insurance in the Netherlands. On their website you can find information about the rental laws governing student accommodation

For problems of a more personal nature, for example issues with a roommate or difficulties adapting to life in the Netherlands, you are welcome to contact a Student Counsellor.

Residence Life programme: DUWO international student housing

Leiden University's Residence Life Programme aims to help international students living in DUWO student housing in Leiden, Oegstgeest, and The Hague. From collecting your keys and meeting your housemates to learning about student life in Leiden, the Residence life team is on hand to help. Learn more about Residence Life

Rent benefit

If you are renting a property in the Netherlands you may, in some circumstances, be able to claim rent benefit. See the Dutch Tax Authority website for details. You are responsible for your own rent benefit claim but if you need assistance or advice, you can contact the Leidse Rechtswinkel (free legal aid centre) or the JIP (youth information point).

Students with a disability

If you have a disability you may require additional facilities in your living environment. Finding suitable accommodation can be time-consuming, so start your search early. Also see the Studying with a disability pages for further information.
Are you an international student requesting housing via Leiden University? Please contact the Housing Officer for advice well before the housing application deadline

This website uses cookies.