Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Caring responsibilities

Acting as a carer takes a lot of time and energy. If this causes you to fall behind in your studies or experience other difficulties, you can request support from the university.

What is a carer?

A carer is someone who is caring for a person they know, such as a family member, friend or neighbour. Not just regular help and chores in a shared household, but structural care that the other person cannot manage without. This could be nursing tasks, household chores or other forms of support. A carer is not a professional caregiver and is generally unpaid. A carer is also not a volunteer who chooses to start or stop providing care. As a carer, you help someone in your social environment because they really need it.

Talk to your study adviser

Make an appointment with your study adviser. Together you can discuss whether you need to make adjustments to your study programme and whether you might be eligible for financial support.

Binding study advice

The university must take your exceptional circumstances into consideration when issuing binding study advice. To facilitate this, you must request a so-called statement of hindrance from the BSA committee. Read more about binding study advice (BSA) and exceptional circumstances.

Financial support

If you are falling behind in your studies due to caring responsibilities, you may be eligible for financial support from the university via the Regulations on financial support for students.

This website uses cookies.