Leiden University has outlined its strategy for 2015-2020 in its institutional plan entitled 'Freedom to Excel'. This theme links the two core values that have defined the University since its foundation in 1575.
The University’s motto is ‘Bastion of Freedom’. In a world in which freedom is becoming less of a given, Leiden, as a leading international research university, aims to be a point of reference for society. The University strives to create an environment in which academics and students have the opportunity to excel. This excellence can in turn help to make the world a safer, healthier, more sustainable, prosperous and just place – at local, regional and global level.
The six ambitions of Leiden University in the period 2015-2020 are:
- An environment for excellent research
- Activating talent
- Innovation in teaching and learning
- Increased impact and innovation
- Research and teaching in an international setting
- Further development of our campus in The Hague
Freedom to Excel 2015-2020: