Finding and arranging
An internship or research project abroad is not only a fun and educational experience, it's also a great asset to your CV. As job markets are becoming increasingly international, employers tend to view international experience as a big advantage. Read more about how to arrange an internship or project abroad.
Register in the Study Abroad portal
All students who are going abroad as part of, or in relation to their Leiden University studies, must register in the study abroad portal. By doing so, you enable the university to contact you in case of an emergency abroad. Register in the study abroad portal as soon as you have approval for your activity from your study programme.
If you are planning on studying abroad, the coronavirus situation can certainly be a cause for uncertainty. By following the advice and guidelines on the Health and Safety page, you can minimise any potential (financial) risks as much as possible. Still unsure whether it’s a good idea to study abroad at the moment? Read the university’s advice.
Also take a look at the study abroad and corona FAQs.
Take a look under your faculty or study programme tab for information about the options available for international internships or research projects and how to arrange approval and registration.
You can also find information on international activities that you can do as part of or alongside your studies on the study abroad website.
It is possible to do your internship abroad. For these internships, the same rules and regulations apply as for internships in the Netherlands. Please see the faculty’s online internship manual.
If you do your internship abroad, you are responsible for the following (where applicable):
- All additional costs (travel and accommodation costs, visa costs, etc)
- Arranging housing
- Visa application
- Taking out the necessary insurances.
- Sometimes it is possible to receive a grant for an internship abroad. You are responsible for applying for the scholarship and keeping up with the associated deadlines.
Safety and approval for your destination
Leiden University attaches great importance to safety during an internship abroad. You cannot travel to all countries. It is very important to follow the Health and Safety policy of Leiden University.
Register in study abroad portal
Once you have obtained the necessary approval from the Board of Examiners (and if applicable from the IIT) for your internship abroad, you must register in the study abroad portal.
By registering in the Study Abroad portal, you enable Leiden University to make sure you have selected a safe destination and to contact you in case of an emergency abroad. If you will receive study credits, university funding or recognition on your transcript for your activity abroad, registration in the study abroad portal is obligatory.
Register in the Study Abroad portal as soon as you have gained permission from your study programme for your activity abroad - and at least 2 weeks before departure. If you will go abroad within 2 weeks, get in touch with your faculty contact person for instructions.
- Log into uSis > click on the Study Abroad tile > select ‘Register another type of study-related activity abroad’.
- Enter the requested data, upload any required documents then click on submit.
- If you have the necessary faculty approval and your destination is safe, the university will approve your registration. You may then depart for your activity abroad. Remember to check the travel advice before departure in case the safety situation changes.
As soon as possible, enter your contact details abroad in the Study Abroad portal - in the ‘During your stay’ section. Remember to keep your contact details updated whilst abroad so we can reach you in case of emergencies!
Required uploads and supervisor information for portal registration
When registering your internship or research abroad in the Study Abroad Portal, you will need to include:
- Uploads: By the Board of Examiners approved Internship Plan
- Contact information university supervisor
- Contact information organisation supervisor