Universiteit Leiden

nl en

Binding study advice (BSA) and exceptional circumstances

Have you fallen behind in your studies due to exceptional circumstances and, as a result, do you risk being issued with negative binding study advice? Find out how you can prevent this leading to you having to stop your studies.

What are exceptional circumstances?

Your academic progress can be hindered by, for example, chronic illness, a disability, exceptional  family circumstances or student board membership. Read more about situations that can be classified as ‘exceptional circumstances’.

Talk to your study adviser

Let your study adviser know immediately if exceptional circumstances are causing you to fall behind in your studies. Together, you can draw up an adapted study plan if required.

Request a statement of hindrance

The university must take your exceptional circumstances into consideration when issuing binding study advice. To facilitate this, you must request a so-called statement of hindrance. Your study adviser can explain how to do so and the subsequent procedures.

Submit your request on time

Your request for a statement of hindrance must be received as early as possible and at least by 15 July.
Be aware that preparing your request can be time consuming; for example, you may need a statement from a doctor or another expert.

Not a guarantee

The fact that the university will take your exceptional circumstances into consideration does not guarantee that you will not have to stop your studies. The university may still conclude that you should have performed better despite these circumstances.

This website uses cookies. Read